3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 9:26 AM by Mike Pogue

Cannot combine parts for SimulationXpress

Louis C

Hello,

I am having difficulty trying to combine two parts to use as a single body for SimulationXpress. I keep getting zero geometry issues but I cannot fine the source of my problem, would anyone be able to pinpoint it for me please? I am new to this so using the Simulation package is beyond my ability at this stage, hence the Xpress.

It seems the front angled face of the model is at fault as I cannot combine it with the rest of the assembly but I cannot understand why. I initially thought the radii may be the issue so I removed the bulk of them, but the problem still exists.

I checked the model and it identified a short edge issue, but I could not locate this and am now stuck so thought it may be worth asking on here, sorry if the problem is obvious! I noted there is a small construction line left on the front face of the base as well, could that be the issue?

I have attached the document, at this stage I have just mated the two parts together and have not attempted a combine as it may be clearer.

Thanks in advance,

Louis

• Re: Cannot combine parts for SimulationXpress
          Mike Pogue

There's your problem. Either separate the parts or add some non-zero-width connection.

Louis C

Thank you Mike, I spent a long time trying to figure out what was wrong with it, I (foolishly) assumed that there was contact and that it would suffice. Is there an easier way for me to find simple faults like that or is it just experience and common sense? I've extended the relevant faces and it now works.

Regarding the image you attached, is there a way to remove the angled black line from the face or is that there as an indicator for the hidden taper?

*Edit*

The simulation will not allow me to mesh the "combine" that I performed to make it a single part, I am running it on the finest mesh but it still won't accept it, is there something silly I may have missed?

Thanks again,

Louis

Mike Pogue

To remove the hidden line, You could just create an extrude through it.

As for the meshing, I would definitely separate the zero thickness geometry, rather than trying to connect it. Finally, on the Tools toolbar, run these two checks. Fixing all of the errors on these tends to make meshes happen. .

With all of that said, take your analysis results with a grain of salt. They will only be valid far from the combines you are doing to get it to run.