3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 4:51 PM by Jeff Holliday

Pdm workgroup question

robert dattilo

Hello;

I usually work on a none pdm network, but need to do a project involving other files on the pdm network that a few departments use. I went into pdm, then checked out, opened,  took ownership 3 files. I wanted to make a small assembly. I created a sub project folder in my temporary directory. Then I create a new assembly & start with the first part, but when I go to save it gives me folder choices from the old nework I work in. How do I save this new assembly to my pdm sub project folder? I know you can't seem to see the pdm folders in the standard way. I am logged into the pdm. The other thing is I'll need to grab a 4th part from the old network which could even be a dummy part, and add it to the assy. The first thing is just to get this assy saving to my sub project in the Temporary working directory.

Thanks, in advance for any input,

Rob_D SW 2014 sp4.

• Re: Pdm workgroup question
          Jeff Holliday

Did you create the sub-project in the vault structure? You seen to indicate that you only did so on a temporary location? This does not automatically transfer into the vault location.

robert dattilo

Hello Jeff;

I see, so it sounds like I still need to manually create a folder for a new project on the C drive

where the Administrator set up for my pdm work. So if I check a file into my project folder on the "C", does it at the same

time  check it into wherever the work group pdm server is located? Is that pretty much what's happening?

Thanks,

Rob_D

Jeff Holliday

No it does not. You can work on the project wherever you choose but it will not be within the vault. The vault is a secure repository for the files. You never work on original files within it, only on copies that have been checked out.

There is no automatic filing within the vault. You can check the files into whichever project or subproject you decide.