5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 4:57 PM by Kevin Chandler

Is it possible to have a Global Variable with a text value

Gerald Smith

I am working with a large assembly and would like to create a global variable that will ultimately fill out the title block for all of my details ie. project name, designer.  Is it possible to have a global variable evaluate to a text value?

• Re: Is it possible to have a Global Variable with a text value
          Babak Shei

If its only a few variations for the drawing, why not make a drawing template with the required details? unless there are many variations and they are frequent. In which case to reference the texts associated to a part, in the drawing, you would need to create a custom property at the part level, and call it out using the "link to property option" in the text box of the drawing. Though for a large assembly, the first option would be quicker than having to change the properties for each of the parts in the assembly to accomplish the second option of linking to property.

Gerald Smith

Yes, I already have the custom property in the part file and a link in my drawing template.  The assembly has over 600 unique parts, so it would be nice to fill in the custom properties from some central location since they will all be filled out exactly the same for all parts.  I was thinking about a global variable, but cannot get them to evaluate to a text value.  I was also wondering about the property tab builder if that would be capable accomplishing the same task.

Jamil Snead

I think probably a macro could go through every part in an assembly and add custom properties to them automatically. If that interests you I'd suggest asking about it in the API section of the forum. You would need to be careful though because if you have certain standard components that are used in multiple assemblies you might not want to change their custom properties each time they are used in a new assembly. I don't know how you would deal with those. Maybe you could make them read-only while you run the macro.

Matt Peneguy

Have you looked into the Property Tab Builder under the (Start>Solidworks 20xx>Solidworks Tools>Property Tab Builder)?

You can set one up for your custom property, save it, then shift select all of the parts in the feature tree in the main assembly and apply the custom property to all the selected parts.

property tab.png

I hope that helps solve your problem.

Kevin Chandler

Matt's is an excellent idea, but keep in mind, if some of the "parts" are subassemblies, you'll need to build both part and assembly property tab templates.

You'll need to apply the custom property value on parts separately from the subassemblies.

Depending on your part numbering/naming convention, you may be able to filter the tree for parts then assemblies for easier selection.

Cheers,

Kevin