2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 4:23 PM by Rob Pearce

Cannot assign extrusion in Temperatute Type?

Rob Pearce

I am using Solidworks 2012 Premium. I am running a simple simulation before I try something complex. I am looking at the expansion of a 10 x 10 x 1000 mm aluminum bar when the temperature increases from 20C to 80C. I have calculated the answer by hand so I will know if I have the right answer. I entered 20C as the temperature at zero strain. I cannot figure out how to specify the final temperature of 80C. When I go to Temperature in the external loads I can apply a temperature to faces and edges but not to the feature, in this case an extrusion.  I have tried selecting the feature from the tree but this is ignored. I am sure I am missing something that is very obvious. Anybody have any thoughts about what I am missing?

• Re: Cannot assign extrusion in Temperatute Type?
          Attilio Colangelo

Obvious - no, annoying -yes.  I run into this alot - try filtering solid bodies only in the filter toolbar and select the body in the graphics window.  The whole body should select for the Sim input dialog box.  It sounds like you've already tried the feature manager tree approach but if you can just locate the solid body (not the feature) that should work also.

They really should make applying temperature to an entire part/body easier.  It's not that uncommon - it should be a primary filter.  </rant>