7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 6:32 PM by Ross Henderson

Plotting X,Y Coordinates on a table

Tim Herda

Hello all. New member here.  I am using SW 2015. The brunt of the drawings I do here is basically a disk with a bunch of holes in circular patterns, so, flywheels with mounting holes. One of the main purpose of these drawings is obviously to make our machinists lives easier when programming,  so I like to get the info to them as close to their language as possible. So the hole table feature is great for this, as it gives x,y coordinates from the center (translates perfectly to the CNC programmer). I have found a limitation though that seem basic enough. The hole table does not recognize holes that go through a tapered surface, so if there is a slight conical surface to the flywheel , even if the hole is started on a flat plane. Something about the surface of the hole  having an elliptical profile (It's still a circular hole D***it!) sorry.

The solution for this, I think could solve another one of my problems that I run into: Some of these flywheels have raised geometric bosses patterned around the edge. As of now I put a note pointing to each corner of the boss and manually enter the coordinates that I derived from previously placing both ordinate locations for each corner. This is not a fun process as there are a good handful of corners.

So, with all that being said (probably, not so eloquently) ideally I would like to see a feature that plots points, like the corners or just the centers of the "non circular" holes, in a table very much like the hole table. I admittedly am not too familiar with writing macros, or any kind of programming for that matter, but think that the solution I'm looking for lies in that ability.  Does anyone know if there has been anything created that serves this function.  I have found several discussions that have come close (placing notes nor a similar excel sheet) But not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Plotting X,Y Coordinates on a table
          Cody Munk

Tim,

This may not be exactly what you are after, but it may help.  See the attached macro.  This will export the xyz's of sketch points.

1-create a 3D sketch.  Place sketch points at all the locations desired to export.  The macro will export in the same order the points are created.

2- save file.

3-select the sketch

4-run macro

5-the macro will export the xyz's of the sketch points to a text file, saved as the same name as the part file, and in the same location.

The data will be in mm and may have plenty of digits after the decimal.  I import this into excel (comma delimiter) and use the round function to simplify and to remove any scientific notations.  I hope this helps.

-Cody

Tim Herda

Thanks Cody. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I have a pretty clear picture of what this will do. It will probably take some cleaning up, like eliminating the Z and making a table similar to the hole table and such but that may be less work than what I am currently doing, not to mention a little neater. Know of any way excel might convert from metric to SAE automatically? Wish that step wasn't necessary.

Cody Munk

=ROUND(A1,6)/25.4  in excel will round to 6 decimals and convert to inches.  Copy these cells and paste special/values to get the numbers back.

If you are eliminating the Z...  Why don't you just add a row to your hole table and link the cell to the dimension?  To add the value to the table just insert a new row, double click a cell to activate it, then click on a dimension.  It will insert the value and stay linked.  Are you detailing your part from 0,0 using ordinate dimensions?  If you are, you're in good shape, the x & y values are there for the taking.  If you aren't, you could create a set of ordinate dimensions and have them on a hidden/do not print layer.  I don't know of a way to link a tag or label to the table, that part will be manual input (it works for dimensions, not annotations.)  Good Luck

-Cody

Matthew Cempa

I have a macro that does what you are looking for, if you let me know what information you want in the table I could modify it to suit your needs. Currently it can take a coordinate system and output both global coordinates and local to the coordinate system.  It outputs X Y & Z columns as well as a serially numbered point ID.  The table is static however so if you move the sketch points it won't update.  I'm still working on that capability.