4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 10:39 AM by Eric Andersen

Best way to depict choice of two parts?

Eric Andersen

I have an assembly where I would like to give the assembler the option of using two different thread sealants (one is applied manually and the other is applied by machine.) What would be the the best way to show this on a drawing? The red-lined drawing that production gave me has a slash between the BOM balloons, but I don't think SolidWorks will let me do that. Attached is a picture of the current depiction, without the option of a different sealant.

• Re: Best way to depict choice of two parts?
          Jamil Snead

You could use a stacked balloon to show both item numbers, and just have the Qty in BOM say A/N or something for as needed. Then it is up to assembly to use however much of each as they want.

Mike Pogue

We used to do item 10 Qty 1 for the preferred part and item 10 Qty ALT for the alternate part on the BOM. In this case, it'd be Item 10 Qty A/R, item 10 Qty ALT. That way the ALT qty doesn't drive phony demand.

Brian McEwen

Another way - I think this was pointed out by Deepak in some recent post - is just put both part numbers in your sealant .sldprt.  I assume you are using some empty part (or a minimal thing like a cylinder you can mate with the fitting) for the sealant. So both options would be item 9.

The approach partly depends on how you manage your inventory and if your SolidWorks BOM must be the same as your ERP BOM. 

In our case thread sealant would be a "non-inventory item" - so we would have a quantity (or length) in SolidWorks and in ERP, but ERP would not actually deduct from stock (hence not an issue to put a quantity for both on the BOM), it would simply be restocked when it mostly runs out.  

Is that quantity manually entered, or is that a linked property?