AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create external block reference

Question asked by Don Cheke on Apr 8, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 by Don Cheke

I have an extrusion profile sketch that I want to use in various models so that if I change the block it updates in the various models it is used. It seems to me that I should be able to link this bock to the all places, external reference I would think it would be called.

What I have done so far is create the sketch, saved it as a block. I have inserted that block into other drawings and extruded those sketches for various purposes. When I open the saved block and make a change to see how this might work, none of the other places where it was used have updated.

Can anyone offer me some insight into how to make this work, or suggest a method I should be looking at, if not this.

I had initially tried using configuration because the various extrusions become an assembly, each having different lengths and fabrication details.  I couldn't seem to get the lengths to vary between the parts. I am pretty sure I was using configurations as I should, since I have used configurations often for many projects.

Outcomes