3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 1:05 PM by Kevin Chandler

TYPES OF DRILLS WITH BOX..

Eduardo Pérez

I WANT A CREATED A DRILL WITH A BOX, BUT I DONT KNOW WICH IS THE OPTION FOR THAT.

I NEED A THREAD 1/2" - 13 TPI WITH BOX .625 DIAM. X .875 DEPTH.

Captura.PNGDWEWER.PNG

SOMETHING LIKE THIS PHOTO BUT WITH THREAD.

• Re: TYPES OF DRILLS WITH BOX..
          Mike Pogue

I don't believe you can create a flat bottom hole in the hole wizard. The workaround is to edit the revolve sketch under the hole wizard feature (expand the hole feature in the feature tree and edit the second sketch) then change the drill point angle to 180 deg. In this case, you'll have to add the spotface symbol manually at the drawing.

EDIT: Rereading that, I think you want a counterbored, tapped hole. I'm not sure that's possible.

• Re: TYPES OF DRILLS WITH BOX..
            Kevin Chandler

Hello,

You can create a custom cbore then tap from the bottom of it, but I don't believe you can combine the hole callouts into one annotation as shown above and still maintain linkage to the model. I did mine using two hole callouts (see attached) on two separate hole wizards:

1) Using Hole Wizard, create the cbore first, check "Show custom sizing" and enter your diameter and depth values. Be sure the smaller diameter is smaller than the tap drill size and less than the tap drill depth. (To machine this, the tap drill may be used first to avoid having to use a center cutting end mill to do the cbore, but that's process data and it shouldn't be on the drawing anyway.)

2) Using Hole Wizard, create a 1/2-13 tapped hole (you didn't specify a tap depth, so I tapped thru), positioned centered on the cbore with the bottom of the cbore as your sketch plane.

3) Pattern as required.

4) In your drawing, select Hole Callout and select the cbore. Both diameters are brought in so you need to delete the smaller diameter text (see attached).

4a) You'll get a warning dialog about breaking the link. Click Yes. Your cbore's diameter and depth on the drawing will still update to the cbore model afterwards.

5) Select Hole Callout again and select the tap's drill hole.

6) Since it's two annotations, you have to place the X quantity in each (if more than one cbored tap).

7) Also, if these require position (or some other GD&T) tolerance, you'll need to repeat the tolerance at each annotation and indicate simultaneous requirement (if that's the design intent) on both.

Your text stated 1/2-13, which what I used from my reply, but your screen shot has pipe taps selected (1/2" NPT is 1/2-14), but either way the steps are the same.

Also, since it looks like that screen shot is from the Y14.5 standard, did you mean "basic" when you typed "box"?

If so, you can only apply BASIC to the tap driil and cbore diameters.

I hope this helps,

Kevin