3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 9:09 AM by Brian McEwen

Issues with configurations displaying correctly

Colleen Christie

I have a top level assembly with several sub assemblies.  In the sub assemblies I have several door assemblies.  The doors have several configurations within them (open or closed, right or left hand, with or without window).  In my top level assembly I have created 2 configurations, doors open and doors closed.  When In the doors open config, I go into the sub assembly and set the configuration of the doors to be in the open position.  When I go into the the doors closed config in the top level and set the configurtaion of the doors to be closed, it changes the doors open configuration and closes all the doors.

I have done this several times before, but have had the door assembled into the main assembly, and not the sub assembly.  Do I need to create configs in my sub assembly for open and closed, then use those in my top level? Or should this work right from my top level.

Thank you for any input

Colleen

• Re: Issues with configurations displaying correctly
          Jeff Mirisola

Yes, you'll need to create the open/closed configurations in the sub-assembly as well in order to get it all to work well in the upper-level assembly. 

You might also look at using DriveWorksXpress (located under the 'Evaluate' tab on your command manager).

• Re: Issues with configurations displaying correctly
            Brian McEwen

If you want to control the position at the parent assembly level - one alternative (I don't recommend this for a default configuration as it is less stable) is to make the sub assembly Flexible

At the sub assembly level you would have an "Adjustable" or "Flexible" config.  Then instead of a fixed position you use something like a Hinge mate or Limit Angle, or leave rotation unconstrained.  At the parent assembly you can then mate the door into whatever rotation position you want - and adjust it with an Angle mate or something.

If you don't need to check various positions at the parent level then I'd go with the more solid approach of fixed Open and Closed configs.  

Recently I've started tagging mates - meaning I'll prefix the default name with something like "Suppress to Move-Coincident1" or "MoveMate" and then I can filter for that to find the mates that control movement.  Useful for temporary changes.