5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 11:36 AM by Daen Hendrickson

Label pocket with dimension or note?

Mathew Addy

Hi all

I have been using autocad for years and now having to move onto solidworks due to purchasing new equipment. I bought solidworks a couple of years ago and only done basic objects but I know my way around it...just. We make foam inserts mainly but can build pretty much anything.

One thing that has put me off using it before is because of the way I like to create a file to program my CNC machines. I currently use artcam for that and it's rubbish but does the job.

When I currently import an autocad drawing, I have written on the depths of the pocket that I need to cut so I don't need to look away from that screen. I can click the shape and tell it to cut to the depth that's written inside it. Easy

I can do the same with solidworks by writing a load of notes on top of the pockets like the examples I have attached. However as solidworks is so powerful, is there a better way/easier way to do it with dimensioning? Say click the top of the block and then the depth of the extruded cut and it will pop up the info I need. It's also handy to list the parts on the drawing so when I send it to the customer for approval they can see what is placed where and make sure nothing is missing.

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks
      Mat

• Re: Label pocket with dimension or note?
          Daen Hendrickson

Mat,

Something to consider: Annotation Notes.

Create your foam block with cutouts.

In the feature tree, RMC on the Annotations folder and select "Show Feature Dimensions". This will make visible all the cutout dimensions and their depths.

Under Insert / Annotations / select Notes: In the blank note click on each of the displayed dimensions for the cutout and they will be pasted into the note and remain parametric if changes are made. You can separate the dimensions with an "X" or your choice of character and you can add the "purpose" text. You can also set the type of note leader, text formatting, and border.

The annotation notes will be assigned to the "Unassigned items" annotation view. You can assign them to a new view which will align them with the face containing the cutouts - in this case the TOP annotation view.

Daen

Annotations Ortho.jpg

Annotations Top.jpg

Mathew Addy

Hi Daen

That is excellent! Thank you very much. I have had a play and I think I can make that work for me.

One question that I cant seem to find the answer to. How do I change the decimal point position for dimensions/notes. I see yours is .0000 and mine is only .00 but as I am mostly using foam I don't need any as the material has a +/- of 1mm. Plus it makes the note look smaller for the small pieces on a drawing without taking the font down too small.

Thanks again

Mat

Glenn Schroeder

Mathew Addy wrote:

One question that I cant seem to find the answer to. How do I change the decimal point position for dimensions/notes. I see yours is .0000 and mine is only .00 but as I am mostly using foam I don't need any as the material has a +/- of 1mm. Plus it makes the note look smaller for the small pieces on a drawing without taking the font down too small.

Thanks again

Mat

Go to Tools > Options > Document Properties > Units to change the number of decimals displayed.  And you can change fonts, if needed, at Tools > Options > Document Properties > Annotations.

Mathew Addy

Glenn, Thank you. I have now changed this.

Daen, Everything seemed to go ok on my test drawing but now i have put it into pratice it seems to have gone a little wrong.

I think my main problem is that some of my extruded cut's do not have depth dimensions associated with them, Only a couple do on the whole drawing. Is there a way to put these in manually and then attach the annotation note to them? I have tried a smart dimension but it wants to place the dimension on the wrong plane or give me an angular dimension.

The other question is, am i able to set more properties of the note style? The setting "include prefix" seems to make the note slight out of light with any other text i manually type into it. Also where can i specify the prefix? I like to put "mm Deep" after most dimensions so dont want to manually type this every note.

I have managed to get a couple of pocket's to work and copy the notes through to a drawing though.

Thanks

Mathew

Daen Hendrickson

Mathew,

Each cut has a depth dimension. However, if you used a single cut feature to create multiple cutouts at the same depth, all of those cutouts will share the same depth dimension. Try to resolve why you are not seeing the cut depth dimensions on some cutouts prior to adding additional redundant dimensions as outlined below.

Just as you added an annotation note, you can add a reference dimension to capture the depth of your cutouts. Without editing any features click Tools / Dimensions / Smart and select Reference Dimension from the Smart Dimension property manager. Next select one of the vertical edges of your cutout to create the reference dimension for the cutout depth (this will be a "read only" dimension).

Now you can create your note and select this reference dimension for the depth.

I noticed you mentioned copying and pasting your notes. If you are having issues with some, make sure you are getting all the old linked references cleaned up in the copied note. If you RMC on the note and select "Edit Text in Window" you will see the "code" behind the note. You may have some leftover stuff from the note you copied that needs to be deleted / overwritten.

As described in the help file, the "Include prefix..." check box includes prefixes, suffixes and tolerance items added to the dimensions themselves. If this box is not checked, the dimension value is linked to the note, but all the other stuff is stripped off. To address your "mm Deep" desire, you would need to manually add that text to each of the individual depth dimensions. You could either copy and paste this info into each dimension or a better choice might be to create a dimension style and apply it to all of your depth dimensions.

In the attached image, the green dimension is a reference dimension added to the vertical edge of the cutout. The "mm Deep" text was manually added to the "Tape" cutout depth dimension and it shows up in the cutout note with the "include prefix..." check box checked. Additionally, I created a style called "mm Deep". This style adds the "mm Deep" suffix text to the dimension. Once created, you can CTRL-Select all of your depth dimensions and apply the "mm Deep" style in one operation.

Daen

Cutout.jpg