3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 12:44 PM by Mark Biasotti

A question on surfacing

Christopher Harmon

Hello,

I am attempting to create a boat in solid works.  I have created all of the boat lines (See pictures) and now I need to make it a 3D model.  Before, I attempted to loft every single section of the boat and I could not get the lofts to line up correctly, creating many zero thickness errors.  The goal is to acheive a solid model without any cracks that I could run a flow test on.  I am not experienced at all with surfacing and was referred here from my previous thread: https://forum.solidworks.com/inbox?objectType=2&objectID=487400

What would you suggest that I do?

Thank you for your assistance.   

Isometric:

Isometric.jpg

Front:

front.jpg

Side:

Side.jpg

• Re: A question on surfacing
          Ingvar Magnusson

Uploading the part file would be a good start. Btw I could not get to the previous thread.

Roland Schwarz

I'd wager you're trying to loft too much at once.  There are many discrete contours that probably should be separate lofts.

Mark Biasotti

The Boundary surface would be a better choice than Loft, because mathematically it can handle a greater number efficiently and more accurately of 1st and 2nd direction curves than can Loft.  Lofting for marine design is kinda "old-school" and more modern techniques of creating boundary patches with 1st and 2nd direction curves will produce better results. This is especially true because of the "Keel-lines" that it looks like your design has; you want to model these as explicit boundaries (i.e. model to them.)  SDS (sub-divisional modeling) produces excellent results on shapes like these especially where the style edges of the water lines fade. you can go to npowersoftware and download a demo version of PowerSurfacing to try this out if you prefer.

Mark