11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 11:25 PM by Cuinn Herrick

Suppressing assembly equations

Michael Nguyen

I have an assembly equations and multiple configurations. How do I suppress an equation pertaining to a part that is suppressed in a certain configuration?

• Re: Suppressing assembly equations
          Deepak Gupta

You can set them suppressed/unsuppressed for the specific assembly configurations.

Which version of SW you've as the steps are different for doing above.

SW2013 you need to right click on the equation (while in equation editor) while in SW2014 or above there is dropdown box next to equation to set them for specific configuration (similar to when when set dimension)

Michael Nguyen

I am using SW 2015. So far when I right click equations in the Equations Dialogue Box there's only a "delete" option for all four views (Equation View, Sketch View, Dimension View and Ordered View). I looked up trying to configure the suppression states in a design table but it does not seem to like the parameters specifying the state of an equation.

Here is the link for Design Table Parameters for SW 2015:

2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Summary of Design Table Parameters

The only one that might have the capability suppress equations is:

$state@equation_number@equations

Values being: Suppressed, S; Unsuppressed, U

The equation number is found when you are in the Ordered View in the Equations Dialogue Box.

So far no luck.

Deepak Gupta

Are you trying to control global variables?

Michael Nguyen

No. I am trying to maintain multiple configurations. Some parts have assembly level equations attached to them so if a configuration requires for a part (with an equation) to be suppressed I need the equation to be suppressed as well. What Solidworks does is it sees the value as "invalid or missing" because the part is now suppressed. So far I cannot find a way to fix this issue.

Deepak Gupta

I have been struggling with the same issue and could not find a way out.

Tim Bollinger

I am also trying to find a way to suppress equations at the assembly level.  Has this functionality been removed in 2014? I can not find an article explaining how it can be done.  Should I submit an SR?

Michael Nguyen

I contacted Javelin and they suggested to apply the equations that you have at the assembly level, back into the part level. How you do this is basically copy the equation from your assembly equations table, right click the part the equation is applying to and edit the part while in the assembly environment. This is key. From there go to the dimension that the equation is driving and paste the equation. If you don't do this in the assembly environment then Solidworks won't make the relation of what outside component is driving this particular dimension. Exit "Edit Part" and your part should now be parametrically linked to another part. If you haven't done so, delete the original equation from the assembly equations table.

This is useful when you have multiple configurations and if one or more configurations has a part suppressed, the equations is also suppressed at the part level, not at the assembly level. No more errors should occur.

A disadvantage to this method is when you want to take a look at the part file and don't need/want to open the assembly file driving it. The equations table will draw up errors because it is looking for features of another part that you have linked its dimensions to.

Hope this fixes your issue.

Dave Hoder

Has anyone come up with an answer to this yet? I know the way formulas and suppression are handled changed in 2014 but even our VAR can't tell us how it's supposed to work with suppressed parts two years later.

Simon Wilkins

I also would love a fix for this as I think to give the functionality in one version then take it away in subsequent ones isn't great! Luckily I only have a few top assemblies where this happens but it is 1) very annoying and frustrating to see your working assembly have a red error 2) Dangerous as you could get used to accepting this red error as an anomaly and then miss a real error! Surely the ability to be able to supress an equation in a certain configuration makes complete sense if the part is supressed (or even automatically suppress if any of the parts in the equation are supressed?). Desperate for Solidworks to fix this one and have been for a long time! A get round would be to create the different configurations as a separate sub-assemblies and then insert these into the main assembly and unsuppress or suppress them accordingly... obviously this isn't the best answer as it makes the top assembly more congested and complicated!

Cuinn Herrick

I have always looked for a solution to this. I think inability to configure equations is caused by some sort of feature errors over time. It is something I see on old files that have been carried over from version to version.

I have noticed with some of my older template files have features that were suppressed with equations that have been deleted but their equations remain in equation 'Order View'. Deleting these does not get the 'configure equation' back but it may help with equation suppression when you right click on them.