3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 11:37 PM by Venkat Rajappa

EPDM Replication / Multisite server

Venkat Rajappa

My client is using EPDM. I want to setup a replication of client EPDM server at offshore. My VAR says we need client EPDM serial number to generate license for replication server and this license will be added to client network. I have two questions now.

1. Does it really needed to have client serial number?
      2. what are the options if client don't want to share his serial number?
        • Re: EPDM Replication / Multisite server
          Todd Puckett

If you choose to replicate with another company you must always run the exact same version of EPDM. When they upgrade service packs so will you.

Wayne Marshall

Hi Venkat,

I'm not sure why they say you would need the Serial Number as the Server Products for EPDM (in this case the Archive Server) are not licensed. Only the Client software is licensed which does mean that if you want to connect to their Vault Database you would need a license to do that. Whether you can use one of their licenses will (legally) depend on the type of Licenses they have and where you are in respect to them geographically. Named license types (CadEditor, Contributor, Viewer) although still floating, can only be used in the country they are purchased, a Processor license (SNL) can be shared across territories.  What this means, is that if this is a permanent relationship you may need to buy an EPDM license in your country,  that is added to their asset (license file) - you should talk to your VAR as this is a bit fiddly! Are they using EPDM 2015 or 2014? If it is 2015 then this uses the SolidNetWork License manager which may mean another firewall rule needs to be added when you set up the Server / Clients. If they are using 2015 it also means that your license can be reserved for you using the 'options file'.

What is the exact requirement? For a single user accessing a Vault remotely we wouldn't normally suggest a Replication since a solid VPN connection should be sufficient. That said, if you are working on very large datasets and the time to populate your cache is a concern then Replication would help alleviate this.  The third option is the WebClient, but if you are collaborating using SOLIDWORKS this wouldn't be suitable as it doesn't support the EPDM Add-in inside SOLIDWORKS.

Kind regards

Wayne Marshall

Customer Support Manager

Solid Solutions Management (UK)

Venkat Rajappa

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the reply. Finally we set up the archive server using the global license from my client. Things are going good at my end. Dont have any issues on check out, check in, etc., But my client is facing problems in opening the files which I checked in after doing some modifications / revisions. The preview tab shows "could not read the file xxxx.sldasm" for him. Is there a way to resolve this?

Capture.JPG