5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 1:29 PM by Chris Scheer

Pack and Go

Chris Scheer

I have a project that I want to "pack and go" to another location, with changes to the file names.  I know how to do this, but this particular project has "sub-folders".  I have my parts in a parts folder, my assemblies in an assembly folder and my drawings in a drawing folder, all under the main project folder.  I want to create this exact file structure in the new location.

First question.. Do I have to individually re-path each part, assembly, and drawing to the newly created file folder locations?

Second question..Will my assemblies, drawings, parts automatically "re-path" to their new locations once moved/re-named?

• Re: Pack and Go
          Ingvar Magnusson

Just take off the "Flatten to single folder" tick mark.

It is really bad to have the drawings in another folder, because then you can not rmc to open a drawing.

No you don´t have to re-path anything. Second Question, yes they will.

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Scheer wrote:

First question.. Do I have to individually re-path each part, assembly, and drawing to the newly created file folder locations?

I haven't ever used Pack and Go to place parts in different folders, but if that's what you want to do I'd suggest setting the default to the Parts folder, since I assume that's where you'll have the majority of the files.  (See screenshot below.)  Then you could individually set the file paths for the assemblies and drawings.

Second question..Will my assemblies, drawings, parts automatically "re-path" to their new locations once moved/re-named?

As I said above, when using Pack and Go I always moved everything into a single folder, but yes, all files created with Pack and Go should have the proper references, and you shouldn't have any references to the original files.

By the way, when I first started using SW I had a very similar folder structure.  I have since changed to having all files for a single project in a single folder, with no sub-folders.  It works pretty well.

Chris Scheer

Thanks guys,

I'm going to start keeping all files for a project in a single folder.  Seems to be the best way...