4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 11:23 AM by Chris Mackedanz

Reusable Cut Macro

Luc Coetzer

Hi

I work for a company that makes a lot of underwater housings. We usually use the same 3 or 4 types of connectors in almost all our projects. And with every new housing I need to draw the connector mounting footprint from scratch. I want a way to be able to save the foot print so that I can put it into the drawing by simply selecting its location and adjusting the cut depth.

I have attached an example of one of these footprints (Teledyne Impulse MHDL FCR Mounting footprint). Ultimately its easy to draw these foot prints, Its just frustrating to do again and again. I think a Macro(s) will be the way to go but all my attempts at writing macros have gone horribly wrong.

Any help is appreciated greatly

• Re: Reusable Cut Macro
          Craig Schultz

Library feature(s) would be the way to go if it's in the model.  Drawing block if it's only in the drawing.

Deepak Gupta

I second Craig's suggestion, Library feature is the way to go

Chris Mackedanz

So, yeah everyone here is right, but they didn't mention one other way of doing it.

You could use a Smart Feature.  If you are creating full assembly models showing these plugs or components, you can actually have the part bring in the cut-extrude feature to cut through what ever you put it on.  It does take a few minutes to set up and there is a bit of a learning curve to it, but if you use that part a lot it's worth it.  You can even add a few smart mates to the part so it would snap to the surface you want to place it on, add a mate or two to located in on that face and then tell it to insert the smart features.  Then when and if you need to move that part, say you didn't put it the right place or you find it works better if moved over a little, you just edit the mates accordingly, rebuild, and the holes in the enclosure should update with the part.  ( There is an option to NOT update the smart features when you move a part).

It does take a bit of getting used to, and I'm not even sure if I like them yet... but just wanted to let you know about that option as well.