6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 10:04 AM by Mark Dougall

Blocks inside blocks inside blocks.

Mark Dougall

So I sometimes use blocks to create drawings for some hazard stickers we need. It makes an image with a grid easier to scale and less likely to go wrong later in the drawing. My question is how do I edit blocks that are inside blocks?

Usually I'd create a grid and make it a block. Then insert an image from an assembly which comes pre-blocked. I'll make the two one block but can't seem to edit either of the origional blocks after that.

Say block one more time...

• Re: Blocks inside blocks inside blocks.
          Matt Wallace

You should be able to edit the main block, and the edit the sub block.

Here is another way.

Start a new sketch.

Insert the block you want to edit, and then edit the block.

Close the sketch.

If you no longer need the sketch, delete it.  The block will remain updated.

Mark Dougall

I can do as you say fine in a part or assembly but it's in drawings I'm having trouble. It almost seems as if once you put a block inside a block in a drawing, the original block becomes fixed and un-editable unless you explode the blocks. I am only able to edit the top most block which is really just moving shapes around.

Matt Wallace

I tried linking to an external file, but that didn't work.  Blocks are cool, but their limitations can be maddening-  even when linked to an external file, editing a sub block won't update the main block.

Matt Wallace

If you link the main block in the drawing to an external file, you can then edit the main block in a part file sketch, and then edit the sub block, and then save and overwrite the main block, the block in the drawing will update.  After all that, I don't know if that will help you out.

Mark Dougall

I like your effort there but sadly wouldn't help much, although it is a work around. The drawings I'm doing are for safety badge designs. I know Solidworks isn't the ideal medium for this sort of work but it lets me make accurate dimension grids with sketches around a model. I could add the grids to the part or assembly but they would be annoying additions to only be used for one instance.

I usually turn the model drawing into a block and then dimension a grid around it to become another block. Then when I want to move them together I need to make a block out of the two making them sub blocks which I can't edit. I don't make these stickers often and I understand it's not really how Solidworks is supposed to be used but it would be nice for blocks to work the same in drawings as in parts and assembly.

Mark Dougall

Just thought I'd add to this as I seem to be able to edit blocks inside blocks in drawings fine after I save, close and reopen the file. Still won't work if I create a block within a block and keep the file open. It's a workaround but seems strange it won't work straight away.