14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 3:58 AM by Shon Owl

3D Sketch mirror

Does anyone know of a way to mirror a 3D sketch?
        • 3D Sketch mirror
          Charles Culp
          I am unfamiliar with any way to do that.  I searched throughall the sketching options, and never came up with anything.
          • 3D Sketch mirror
            Vijay Tandon

As you knowthere is no direct command for this.

If you reallywant to create a mirror image of a 3D sketch you can do it in somecases but your mouse will have to go some extra miles.

In my casethe 3D sketch was made up of several straight line segments onseveral different planes and fillet curves joining them.

This is how Idid it.

1. Extend theend of the 3D sketch line segment which is nearest to the mirrorplane so that it ends up on the mirror plane with the added linesegment as a perpendicular to the mirror plane. You may have to adda fillet also. Later on you will remove these extra segments ifneed be.

2. Draw asmall circle on the mirror plane with new end point of the 3Dsketch as center to get ready for the sweep.

3. Insert,Boss, Sweep using this circle and the 3D sketch.

4. Select theend surface of the sweep body which lies on the mirror plane.Insert, Pattern, Mirror, Body to Mirror and Select the newlycreated sweep body. You will see the joining mirror body beingcreated.

5. Start anew 3D sketch command, Pick the Line tool and start creating the 3Dline segments from the far the far end of the new sweep body. Makesure you are snapping to the center of the sweep as you go alongthe sweep body till you reach the mirror plane. Create all straightsegments first and then add proper fillet wherever it was in theoriginal 3D sketch.

6. Get out ofthe 3D sketch command.

7. Delete thesweep feature from the feature tree. You are left with the new 3dketch which is the mirror image of your 3D sketch.

8. You can goback and delete the extra line segment/fillet on you original 3Dsketch.

GoodLuck

VijayTandon

• 3D Sketch mirror
              Graham O'Brien
              Hi Vijay this is a problem i need to solve i work in 3D sketches a fair bit and need to mirror them ... i have tried to figure out your solution ...with no luck... can you please help me understand what you did or even send me a file so i can pick it apart and try to get it that way ... thank you in advance for your time

Graham
              • 3D Sketch mirror
                Graham O'Brien
                Maybe someone else can help me ? I understand how to mirror a 3D solid or a weldment ... its the 3D sketch I need to mirror
                • 3D Sketch mirror
                  Graham O'Brien
                  I need the sketches line work for surfacing ...
                    • 3D Sketch mirror
                      Pete Yodis
                      Could you post the file and we could have a crack at it? I am thinking you could create surfaces that have edges on the sketch, mirror the surfaces, create a 3D sketch that borrows the edges of the mirrored surfaces, and then hide the surfaces used for construction. A roundabout way - but should be possible.

Pete
                    • 3D Sketch mirror
                      Graham O'Brien
                      Hi pete just tried what you explained .... that worked ..

thanks man

• 3D Sketch mirror
                        Graham O'Brien
                        I think this operation needs its own direct command .... there sure is a lot of hoops to jump though to mirror a 3d sketch ...?
                        • Re: 3D Sketch mirror
                          Cooper Davis

Copy and paste then rotate and move to the plane you would like simplest and easiest way to go about it. If you need more instructions I can show you how SolidWorks is kind of fidgety about it.

• Re: 3D Sketch mirror
                            Shon Owl

If often you use a symmetry of a 3D spline that quite explainably desire to add this function to toolbar. Especially as it is easy to program it on vc. I agree with the author in addition of this functional in the button to toolbar