12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 8:34 AM by Joe Tharion

Pack and Go Macro Converts All the Filenames to Lower Case

David Sheridan

Hello,

When I run a Pack and Go macro all the filenames are converted to Lower Case.

The macro code is located at:

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/English/api/sldworksapi/Pack_and_Go_an_Assembly_Example_VB.htm

All the filenames (the SolidWorks default part numbers) are converted to lower case.

This does not happen when I do a Pack and Go from the user interface menu.

I would like the file names to remain the same case so the Bill of Materials are not changed, but if the filenames are changed then upper case would be better than lower case.

Any ideas on how to prevent the macro from converting the filenames to lower case?

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: Pack and Go Macro Converts All the Filenames to Lower Case
          David Sheridan

I added the underlined lines below to make all file names and extensions upper case.

' Get current paths and filenames of the assembly's documents

status = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentNames(pgFileNames)

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  Current path and filenames: "

If (Not (IsEmpty(pgFileNames))) Then

For i = 0 To UBound(pgFileNames)

pgFileNames(i) = UCase(pgFileNames(i))

Debug.Print "    The path and filename is: " & pgFileNames(i)

Next i

End If

' Set document paths and names for Pack and Go

status = swPackAndGo.SetDocumentSaveToNames(pgFileNames)

Deepak Gupta

Using the same example and sample file (given the macro) I didn't see any case changed for me.

But looking at your reply I believe that issue has been resolved. Thanks for sharing the codes.

David Sheridan

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for taking time to investigate my issue.  You are correct.  If I use the example code it does not change the case of the filenames.  I changed the code to pack and go the assembly or part that I have opened by changing "Set swModelDoc", see below.

'openFile = "C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\samples\tutorial\advdrawings\handle.sldasm"

'Set swModelDoc = swApp.OpenDoc6(openFile, swDocASSEMBLY, swOpenDocOptions_Silent, "", errors, warnings)

Set swModelDoc = swApp.ActiveDoc

Then an assembly or part will pack and go to all lowercase.  I may be using "Set swModelDoc" incorrectly.  Any ideas?

Note:

On my SW install "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SOLIDWORKS\samples\tutorial\advdrawings\handle.sldasm" and its parts are all lower case file names.

connector.sldprt

handle rod.sldprt

marble handle.sldprt

knob.sldprt

Thanks,

Dave

Keith Rice

Does IPackAndGo::GetDocumentNames get the paths with the correct case?

Do the cases used with the strings in IPackAndGo::SetDocumentSaveToNames remain intact after the pack and go?

If yes to both then the problem is solved with some string manipulation, quite similar to what you're already doing. Otherwise, you'll need to rename the files using the correct case after the pack and go occurs.

Keith

SolidWorks API Tutorials

David Sheridan

Hi Keith,

GetDocumentNames get the paths with the wrong case.

I use:

Debug.Print ""

pgFileNames(i) = Dir(pgFileNames(i))

Next i

End If

' Set document paths and names for Pack and Go

SetDocumentSaveToNames uses the lower case path which is OK for me and pgFileNames(i) = Dir(pgFileNames(i)) keeps the file name and extension to the correct case.  Even though pgFileNames(i) = Dir(pgFileNames(i)) has no path, the correct path is maintained with status = swPackAndGo.SetDocumentSaveToNames(pgFileNames).

Thanks,

Dave

Joe Tharion

Hi,

I have been having the same issue, but can't seem to find out where I have gone wrong. I have implemented the code above, but it is spliced into my other macro code:

Debug.Print ""

'pgFileNames(i) = UCase(pgFileNames(i)) 'Force Upper Case File Names

Next i

End If

' Get current save-to paths and filenames of the assembly's documents

status = swPackAndGo.GetDocumentSaveToNames(pgFileNames, pgFileStatus)

Debug.Print ""

Debug.Print "  Current default save-to filenames: "

'pgFileNames(i) = UCase(pgFileNames(i)) 'Force Upper Case File Names

Debug.Print "   The path and filename is: " & pgFileNames(i)

Next i

End If

swPackAndGo.IncludeDrawings = True 'Include drawings

swPackAndGo.FlattenToSingleFolder = True ' Flatten the Pack and Go folder structure; save all files to the root directory

swPackAndGo.SetSaveToName True, MyPath & "\" & name & "-" & Rev & ".zip" 'Save as a ZIP file

vStatus = modelDoc.Extension.SavePackAndGo(swPackAndGo) 'Save the pack and go

As, when I do it, I make a ZIP file and write a revision into the zip file also. I have tried forcing upper case, using the dir command, but both dont seem to work.  I have run the debugger, and when I look at the filenames/path it is upper case, but in the ZIP file created, thefile names are lower case.

Any thoughts where I have gone wrong??

thanks,

Joe