10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 9:33 AM by Mike Hudspeth

Remove Multibody Referance

Voinea Ionut

Hello everybody, i prefer working in multibody parts. But when i brake the multi body in individual parts, i don't like that is always

links it whit the original multibody part. My question: is it possible to permanently delete the external reference ? I know i can break it from the list

of external reference, but can it be deleted? thank you

• Re: Remove Multibody Referance
          Dominik Kirschner

There's no way to remove it.

why do you want this reference to be deleted?

you can of course create references to other assemblies as well (keeping the relevant system option in mind)

are there any other limitations you have to consider?

Alex Blakesley

you could save it out as a parasolid file and bring it back into solidworks (it will bring it in as an imported part, theres no way of keeping the feature tree), but you have already broken the external references why do you need to break the references further?

Roland Schwarz

You can break the external references. Right-click the lead feature in your derived part, select "List External References", and click the "Break All" button.

Bjorn Hulman

What is the benefit of deleting the reference all together? Once broken it can have no effect on your part.

Also, if you make frames as illustrated in your image on a regular basis, you may want to look at weldments.

Mike Price

Bjorn Hulman:

What is the benefit of deleting the reference all together? Once broken it can have no effect on your part.

If you had a part named "A", export a solid body out of "A", name it "B", then break all your references, then try to insert "B" into "A", it will not allow you to do so because of a circular reference, even though it is clearly a broken reference.....

Bjorn Hulman

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why you'd do that. Why not just make an assembly instead?

Mike Price

It does not make sense because you have broken the reference.  Part B is supposedly completely unreferenced to Part A now.

As far as why you would want to do such a thing, you will just need to take my word that there are times when you would want to do this for very specific reasons.  Why you would want to however is besides the point.

Why SW maintains a reference when you have clearly broken them all is more of the point and I was just indicating that just because you break all references does not mean they are all broken.

Bjorn Hulman

I disagree. That method has 'bad practice' stamped all over it.

There is nothing that you could do to part b out side of the originating file that you can't do in the originating file. Definitely not when you want to bring them back together in the same originating part file.

Therefore, an equally unsavoury work-around would be to insert part a and b into an assembly, and if you really must have them both back in a part file, save the assembly as a part.

Mike Price

"I disagree. That method has 'bad practice' stamped all over it."

That's a very bold statement when you have no idea what I am practicing by employing such a method.

When you break all references, all references are not broken.  Solidworks is still maintaining some sort of reference.  I was just pointing out that your statement of "Once broken it can have no effect on your part" was somewhat conditional.

Mike Hudspeth

Often, merely breaking an external reference is not enough. In those instances a complete break is required.

To break all external references and keep the feature tree:

Save your donor part to your desktop and rename it.

Eliminate anything you don't want to see come into your receiving part.

Save.

Go to the receiving part and choose Insert>Part, select the part to insert, Select Break link to original part.

Accept. (This will result in an external reference part feature with the donor part’s filename.)

Right-Click the new part feature>List External Refs

Select “Insert the features of original part(s) if references are broken.”

Select Break All.

Select OK then, OK(This will result in a folder named after the donor file and a folder containing sketches.)

Expand the new folders and delete any features and sketches you don't want.