3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 4:39 PM by Mike Pogue

FEA: Newbie Help

Brent Theobald

I am trying to check someone's work.

Can someone share how to set up an FEA study for this simple part? (Maybe it isn't as easy as I think?)

I am trying to validate the force needed for a leg to fail under these conditions.

It has 750 pounds of downforce. The top plane should be restrained. How much force would be needed to have the weld joints fail?

I have attached a file if that helps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Leg.JPG

• Re: FEA: Newbie Help
          Mike Pogue

You are going to get much better results with a hand calc out of Shigleys for a welded joint in pure shear. Get the allowables from AISC 360 if it's in fatigue.

Jared Conway

"check someone's work"

what have they provided you with? fea or hand calc?

what is your concern with their work?

the reason i ask is like mike pointed out, analyzing a weld is challenging with fea. especially because i think where you're pointing at for a "weld" might be a singularity.

but some basics

sim pro > weld connector

or model the welds and use solids

the lower restraint will be challenging but a normal to restraint should be a good start

force on the top should be just a simple force

Mike Pogue

Yeah, I could have been more clear. Analyzing welds in FEA is a pretty sophisticated task. If you are not confident that you understand the pitfalls, I would not deliver that analysis. You are on much more solid ground with handbook type calcs. Also, the case you have presented is very simple. I can see a lot of disadvantages but few advantages to going to FEA for this.