3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 7:54 AM by Matthew Lorono

College submission PDF drawings

AM Eichkamp AM Eichkamp

Hi all can yall have a look at these three drawings and see if they're up to standard and what can be added or taken away to get a good mark.

many thanks

• Re: College submission PDF drawings
          Jamil Snead

They look pretty good to me. One suggestion I have is to watch out for text overlapping the model view or dimension lines. For example in the Anchor Block drawing the Section A-A label overlaps the view, and the Detail F label sort of sits over the 10 degree dimension arrow, and some of the dimensions sit on top of the model or other lines. I'd space them out more so that nothing is crossing through text. In the valve assembly I'm not sure that showing the hidden lines adds any useful information, to me it just makes it hard read those views. So I'd make those views hidden lines removed. Lastly, when you save as the pdf go to the export options and uncheck the box for saving the pdf in color. With the box unchecked all of the lines will be black instead of the grey sheet format lines and dimensions.

Kamden McHenry

Hey,

I agree with Jamil, these drawings look pretty good, but one of the easiest things to fix is overlapping lines.  Space is your friend, and the easier time your prof has reading the print, the higher grade you will get.  The way I view it is to make it your craft, so show off something that is aesthetically pleasing along with being fully functional.  Carefully go back through everything you did to create the model and make sure that all the necessary dimensions and relations are accounted for, and that somebody can recreate your project just from the drawing.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Lorono

AM,

Good subjects and choices.  Some points that will hopefully hope on top of the other comments here:

On the CV Assy, space out the exploded view a bit more.  Line up the balloons on the left of Section C-C.  You can use Magnetic Line for this.  In the Top View (lower left), move the left "C" to the outside of the arrow.  On the sheet format, change the sketches of the border and title to black.  You can do this by editing the sheet format, then selecting everything and using the Line Color command to change the color to something else, then reselect black color.

On the Anchor Block, there are a lot of overlapping dimensions and text.  Space things out a bit more.  Keep dimension text (or any text) from appearing within or over the object lines of the model.  Keep text from overlapping extension lines.  In fact, no text should be overlapping other text or anything else.  Don't cross extension or dimension lines of one dimension with another dimension.  It is OK to cross extension lines with each other.  View labels (A, C, and F) should be centered an underneath the view.  Also, change C to B, and change F to C.  For View C, determine the view's rotation angle to the sheet.  Rotate the view to appear orthographically aligned with the drawing sheet.  In SW2015, this is fairly easy with an RMB command, but in SW2014 and before, you'll have to manually calculate the rotation and using Rotate View to adjust.  Also, it appears that that many of the features of this part are not dimensioned.  Again, make sure the border and title block are black color.

On Pulley Block Assy, same comments at CV Assy.  Additionally, move the BOM to be lined up with the title block and border.  It's OK that a BOM floats, but if you are that close to the edge, it is better to just snap it on the edge.  Rename Section Q-Q to A-A.  Rename Section O-O to B-B.  Also, never use the letter O to label anything on a drawing.  For Section O-O's view label, the scale is not 100% applicable to axonometric views, as many lines are foreshortened.  My preference is to show the scale in parenthesis to denote that the scale is for reference only.  However, this is not common practice, and there are no hard and fast rules about this point.  Perhaps change the scale of the drawing to 1:1 and adjust the size of the print, if needed.

I hope all of this helps!  Have fun!