8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 10:03 AM by Alex Graff

Run Macro in Task Scheduler

Alex Graff

Hello,

I just started writing macros yesterday so I am very new to this. By sifting through various forums and many discussions on this forum I managed to create a macro to do what I need. With a drawing open it deletes the current revision table and inserts a new revision table in the proper location. It isn't quite perfect because I was having trouble with the proper anchor location but somehow it is working. I now need a way to run this in task scheduler so it will open, change the revision table and save all the drawings in a given directory. Any help with this would be great. I will post what I currently have. Like I said it is bits and pieces that I put together that I found so I can't take much credit for the work done. I am not familiar with the namespace and arguments everything uses so it might be a little messy still.

I believe I need to take what I have and update it and save it as a .swb file. I know I need to define a string and then have the string be $$$my_file_path$$$ so I can input the desired directory in the parameters in task managers custom task. I am just getting to the point where I am getting lost with only minimal programming experience and only a day in SolidWorks API. The code below is what I have working as a macro on an open file. I am getting lost when it comes to opening changing and saving multiple files in a folder.

It took me 6 hours to get only as far as I am so I figured it was time to reach out for help. If I cant get this working I'm stuck doing all several hundred drawings by hand, which won't be as bad as it was now that I at least have a macro... but still a lengthy process.

Thanks in advance!

Const TABLE_TEMPLATE As String = "H:\SolidWorks\Revision Table Templates\MARIS REVISION.sldrevtbt"

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Dim swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet

Dim vViews As Variant

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Dim swTableAnn As SldWorks.TableAnnotation

Dim swAnn As SldWorks.Annotation

Dim swRevTableAnn As SldWorks.RevisionTableAnnotation

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swDraw = swModel

Set swSheet = swDraw.GetCurrentSheet

'Delete existing revision table

Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView

Do While Not swView Is Nothing

Set swTableAnn = swView.GetFirstTableAnnotation

While Not swTableAnn Is Nothing

If swTableAnn.Type = swTableAnnotation_RevisionBlock Then

Set swAnn = swTableAnn.GetAnnotation

swAnn.Select3 False, Nothing

swModel.Extension.DeleteSelection2 Empty

Exit Do

End If

Set swTableAnn = swTableAnn.GetNext

Wend

Set swView = swView.GetNextView

Loop

'Add new revision table

Set swRevTableAnn = swSheet.InsertRevisionTable(True, Empty, Empty, _

swBOMConfigurationAnchor_TopRight, TABLE_TEMPLATE)

End Sub

• Re: Run Macro in Task Scheduler
          Keith Rice

Check out this blog post: Schedule Macros Using the Task Scheduler

I should note, however, that the only reason to use the Task Scheduler with macros is that you can schedule them to run at a certain time. If your goal is to simply have the macro process every part in a folder, use the VBA Dir() function.

For example, here is how to open all parts in a specified folder:

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
          Dim swDoc As ModelDoc2
          Dim fileerror As Long
          Dim filewarning As Long

Const folder As String = "C:\SolidWorks Training Files\Essentials\Lesson01\Case Study\"
          Dim files As Variant

Sub main()
              Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
              files = Dir(folder & "*.sldprt", vbNormal)
              Do While files <> ""
                  swApp.OpenDoc6 folder & files, swDocPART, 0, "", fileerror, filewarning
                  files = Dir
              Loop
          End Sub

Keith

SolidWorks API Training

Alex Graff

Thank you for your response. I posted before taking a few days off not anticipating such a quick response. My goal is to write it to run in task scheduler. I have over 400 drawings to fix revision tables on so my hope is to set it to run after I leave work one day so I don't feel like I am wasting a day sitting and watching paint dry. Some of the drawings are for very large assemblies and can take a while to open. I will look at that link you posted and see if I can pick my way through how to get things working.

Keith Rice

If you're going to run it write when you leave, then I still wouldn't use the Task Scheduler. Just write the macro as I described using the Dir() function, and start it as you leave. The Task Scheduler is adding an extra "layer" to your program so I would avoid it if possible. Nevertheless, you know what you need so best of luck as you move forward.

Keith

SolidWorks API Tutorials

Alex Graff

If using a regular marco is simpler I will go that route. I am very new to writing for SolidWorks so any difficulty I can remove I will try. Currently I am running into a problem where I get stuck in a loop and the program gets stuck deleting and re-adding revision blocks. I think I've currently made things messier with unneeded declarations while trying to sort out what everything is. I am more than likely over complicating things.

Alex Graff

Hello Again,

After a few weeks doing other work I am back at writing this macro. I am still struggling quite a bit with it. I have my basic marco to edit my revision tables. I am still trying to figure out how to run it on all drawing files in a folder. I need to open them, run my existing macro, save the change and then close the drawing and move to the next one.  Any help with any of these next steps would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Graff

I tried it before and had no results. Then I realized that i forgot the \ at the end of my folder path... that one error had me hung up. Thank you for the help. Now I am on to the code to save and close each drawing after updating