onshape

Walter Michaud

is onshape the end of solidworks?

• Re: onshape
          Adrian Velazquez

No

Walter Michaud

free or $100.00 per month  with full professional cad,  have you try it?

Adrian Velazquez

I think the "full" part is still along ways to go! It is at a very promising infant stage, will it take a considerable chunk out of SW market share a couple of years from now?  Most likely, but in those couple of years SW will (have to) adjust there business structure to cope with this new contenders (including Fusion 360) and will stay afloat. It won't be the New Kid on the Block anymore, but will be here for a while.

Tony Goossens

For the moment, I don't think so. I don't like working with onshape.

Still no sheetmetal in it and there are still places where you don't have an internet connection.

Greg Hynd

Cant even load a part today using it, just says onshape isn't connected even though my connection is +50mbs down and 15 up.

Cant create drawings in onshape.

They are still very early days and it seems very basic, but it will be interesting how it pans out.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't believe it has drawings either.  Of course there are many people that don't need them, but some of us still do, and will for the foreseeable future.

Mike Pogue

Didn't you hear? MBD is making 2D drawings obsolete--and has been since 1985.

Glenn Schroeder

Mike Pogue wrote:

Didn't you hear? MBD is making 2D drawings obsolete--and has been since 1985.

I still haven't figured out we can get MBD in a crash test report.

Paul Salvador

and... It won't become a reality any time soon because........ of the entrench 2D mentality which has also slowed down nearly ALL 3D progress!

Something tells me... the old graphite custodians for 2D standards are currently forming and creating 3D drawing standards for ALL of us 3D users???

Gotta luv it.........??

btw... SOLIDWORKS MBD Standard is an add-on product as a "separate purchase" for SOLIDWORKS Standard, Professional, or Premium

How much!?!?!?       Yep, that's right!... the 3D beta users are STILL PAYING FOR IT!

Mike Pogue

They most certainly are, though ASME Y14.41 came out in

<checks Wikipedia>

</>

I use reduced dimension drawings a lot, where the 2D drawing is a cover sheet. What would get me over the hump on MBD is if SW would provide a finish feature to account for anodize etc.

Paul Salvador

Yeah, I know...  I'm very aware of MBD for decades.

I was making fun of how long and why we have to pay.

.. it makes me ill knowing we/I PAY for this...

ALL THE WASTED HOURS MAKING 2D DRAWINGS!

And, we pay today.... for what and why!?

Most of what we see here was the result of known lo$e$ from DOD contract$...

OUR TAXES PAID FOR THESE STANDARDS!

John Stoltzfus

Onshape will automatically make our product better, keeping a Software on the market for years creates a leap frog business - if you don't keep jumping you die.

Jeff Holliday

It seems to have some promise but at this point I have not had any success in accessing the web page to set up the "free" beta version. From the videos I am surprised at how very similar the command structures seem to be with respect to SW. There's no doubt that the Onshape team is a class act and quite capable. I agree with John Stoltzfus that a benefit from any competitor is improved functionality for all serious current CAD companies.

Mark Kaiser

I have been able to use it briefly, yesterday, just too busy to really play with it.  Does it really not have the functionality to create drawings, that would be really suprising.

Tony Goossens

the drawing function was already promised for the end of 2014. But if you only make product design, then it is maybe a good solution if you could also do some freeforming in it

John Burrill

It's still early yet.  If you remember, SolidWorks didn't have the drawing presentation tools to compete with AutoCAD for quite a few releases.

They seem to have found a good approach to top-down design and gotten rid of the confusing distinction between assembly modeling and multi-body part modeling.  I like that you can share sketches and create features across parts.

If nothing else, it's given me ideas for a couple of enhancement requests for SW-like being able to apply fillets to multiple bodies.

After a decade of unchallenged dominance, having some competition should invigorate the dev team.

I just hope it doesn't spur DSS to make an 'also cloud' competitor to Onshape instead of improving SW.  I still feel burned over the whole 3DVia experience.

Dries Vervoort

I've been using Onshape since August 2014 as a pre-production user.

True, it needs a lot more functionality if it wants to go head to head with the entrenched MCAD players like SOLIDWORKS.

Still, even in this early stage, Onshape does some unique things where it clearly beats (legacy) SOLIDWORKS. I'm thinking about version control, ubiquity of access, single data source, collaboration, direct editing, multi-body approach, user interface...

One thing is very clear to me. SOLIDWORKS will have to adapt their product, business and pricing to stay afloat. I'm not sure whether the new SWCD and SWID are the right answers to Onshape (or Fusion 360) in their current incarnation.

The team at Onshape is incredible. They take listening to their users very seriously and are fiercely expanding functionality (the platform is updated every few weeks). A lot of stuff has been added in six months already...

They have the platform in place. Expanded functionality will only be a matter of time. Btw, you can see an overview video of drawings in the Product Tour section on their website. Drawings will be released shortly.

I'm a believer in Onshape as a product and perhaps equally important, as a company. The appeal of being able to access your CAD data anywhere is huge.

Dries

Glenn Schroeder

Dries Vervoort wrote:

I'm a believer in Onshape as a product and perhaps equally important, as a company. The appeal of being able to access your CAD data anywhere is huge.

I'm sure that having your models or drawings out on the cloud would be a big advantage to some people, but in the situation here where I work much of what we do is Intellectual Property, or, in the case of anti-ram structures, has other security issues.  I just don't think it would be received well if I went to my bosses and said I wanted to switch modeling softwares, and oh by the way, all the information will be out on the cloud.

I'm not putting Onshape down, I just don't see it ever being an option here as long as that's the case.

Dries Vervoort

Then the question is: who is better at securing your IP-sensitive data? Your in-house IT department? Or the CAD/PDM/PLM provider with dedicated security experts? I used to be sceptical about the cloud myself, but the security argument simply doesn't fly anymore.

Quite clearly, even for SOLIDWORKS, the future lays in the cloud. If you start a new CAD company today, it makes no sense to develop a pure desktop tool.

SOLIDWORKS Conceptual Designer & SOLIDWORKS Industrial Designer are cloud tools too. No local storage (as far as I know).

The cloud is the future, if you like it or not.

"You want the new and exciting stuff? Great! We have cool solutions for you, but you'll have to move to the cloud." That's the reality of today.

True CAD innovation isn't going to happen in legacy SOLIDWORKS. It just doesn't make sense for Dassault.

Dries

Mark Kaiser

I haven't done any research on cloud based security versus in house, so I guess maybe it's time.  But I just don't see how sending my data off somewhere else to be stored is more secure than in my own little building.  To me it's like storing my weapons in a different building, I prefer to have them next to me.

Kelvin Lamport

Dries Vervoort wrote:

Then the question is: who is better at securing your IP-sensitive data? Your in-house IT department? Or the CAD/PDM/PLM provider with dedicated security experts? I used to be sceptical about the cloud myself, but the security argument simply doesn't fly anymore.

Really? Try telling that to...

Sony

Apple

JP Morgan Chase

ebay

US Military

US Vet Affairs

AOL

Evernote

Home Depot

Adobe

... and many, many more.

Adrian Velazquez

Those where some very public cases due to the size of the companies and the type information (user account info) stolen... I'm pretty sure there thousands of cases of inhouse systems where the data was compromised or completely lost, due to poor infrastructure, they are just not public.  IT 101, there is no such thing as a 100% secure system.

John Stoltzfus

or......

Julian Assange

Dries Vervoort

I understand the worries about security. Perfectly valid to be concerned about handing off data to external parties.

However, it also worries me that legacy SOLIDWORKS isn't going to see any significant innovation anymore.

For Dassault the focus is quite clearly on the cloud. Now, how will you react to that as a user?

I think there are two routes for SOLIDWORKS users:

1) You embrace the cloud and enjoy new innovations, because the cloud is where development efforts will be (and already are!) focussed on.

2) You stick with desktop products and live with the fact that your product is...well... on life support.

Either option is perfectly viable, but I just prefer to stay on the leading edge of CAD tools.

And being mainly a SOLIDWORKS user, for me, right now, my bet is on Onshape.

Also, it doesn't have to be an "or this or that" scenario.

I'm currently using Onshape as a companion tool to SOLIDWORKS and I'm finding the whole to be greater than the sums of its parts.

Dries

Adrian Velazquez

Yeah! just think of that one Vendor/Customer that Today is still in 2D CAD (We all have or had one until recently)... do you want to turn into that guy a couple of years from now when everyone is on the "CLOUD" and you are still in Legacy CAD...

As a site note, can we make a pack (at least in this forum) to stop calling it "The Cloud".... I think is weak for what it represends... in the 80's it was know as THE GRID... that was a much cooler term/concept:

Paul Salvador

I'll choose the "Blue Pill" for now.   8^)

Jeff Holliday

I looked at the Onshape videos and was very impressed. I respect the ability of the creative staff as being innovative leaders. I have requested the free beta version to give it a try.

When I step back and look at the modeling features they are very much similar to SW and other 3D modeling systems. The main innovation seems to be in the collaboration capabilities and the lack of having to download software/updates. The collaborative ability to have several people working on a part at the same time reminds me of some brainstorming sessions where several of us have good ideas and are willing to look at other possibilities as long as mine is chosen as the final design. It can be a good thing as long as it there are ground rules established ahead of time.

Regarding the downloading situation - it can be time-consuming and costly but there is a degree of control maintained in the ability to select from updates that may not be needed.

I would find it nice to be able to be cross-platform. It would be nice to have the ability to view a file from my tablet/phone, which I can do now albeit somewhat clumsily. Would I like to be able to use my smart-phone to make meaningful changes to a design? Possibly, but zooming in/out constantly to see details would make me carry a really big phone that resembles something I have heard of - a laptop or something?

I do think Onshape has the ability and promise to be a very good thing. I also think that much of it's unique capabilities may be worked into SW and other CAD packages. I expect that Onshape, SW and others will continue to evolve/improve whether on the cloud or a desk/lap top.

Mark Kaiser

Would you like to know what CAD package I used before SW?  Yep, gonna tell you.  Pencil and paper, and VersaCAD.  Business still got done.  Are we further ahead now than those days in terms of product development, of course.  Is the cloud going to help product development for us, I fail to see how.

Jeff Mirisola

For the record, Onshape's cloud is hosted by Amazon. Not sure that this makes any sort of difference, just thought I'd point that out.

Walter Fetsch

Granted, big companies are probably more technically capable at securing data, but they're also much bigger targets.  Data warehouses draw attacks.  Reality is that nothing is secure today, so visibility is the greatest danger.

John Stoltzfus

All will be well till the "Cloud" is either bought out or invaded by some foreign country - Oh lookie free info