AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there a way to create a new sub-assembley from parts selected from within multiple existing sub assemblies?

Question asked by Rob Edwards on Mar 10, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 by Rob Edwards

Hi All

I have an assembly of sub-assemblies based on a pattern.  Each sub-assembly consists of a single part with two configurations, once again patterned.  This must remain parametric.

I would like to be able to select all the individual parts based on their angular position in the main assembly (they will be made from different colours).

I have an envelope part with configurations that correspond to different colours, and I am able to select the parts using advanced select/select by envelope.

All well so far, now I've got a bit stumped.

I would like to create a new sub-assembly based on this selection so that I could create a separate cutlist, alternately I could add a custom property (colour) to these parts and pull that through to my cutlist.

The problem is that until the material arrives everything can change, but when it does arrive I will have to produce the design real fast.  As in essence all the parts are identical its relatively quick for me to just count the parts in this case, but I always like to learn new tricks.

Anyway a picture paints a thousand words..

parts successfully selected.. what now?

Screenshot 2015-03-10 19.44.27.png

main assembly

Screenshot 2015-03-10 19.40.33.png

sub assembly

Screenshot 2015-03-10 19.41.58.png

part config 1

Screenshot 2015-03-10 19.42.30.png

part config 2

Screenshot 2015-03-10 19.42.57.png

Outcomes