AnsweredAssumed Answered

Possible to use "convert to sheet metal" for this part to flatten into plate for burning?

Question asked by Dave Krum on Mar 10, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 11, 2018 by Cliff Behrend

Hello.  I'm trying to see if there's a possibility of flattening some 3d .dxf files that I have from our detailer.  These are in essence mitered pipe segments that I'd like to convert to sheet metal then bump in press brake to form.  I fiddled with these pieces a while back in the early part of the job.  I sketched a circle and used the base flange for a cylinder, then sketched a cut profile and used extrude cut for to get rid of rest of cylinder (2 pics below and to left).  That way works but I am curious if I could use his parts from Tekla (which will be more accurate than mine since there is a slight skew that I don't know what the value is) that he emailed over and somehow convert them to sheet metal in hopes of flattening (pic to right).  It appears there are some sketches and surface lofting which I'm not familiar with within these files.  I had no luck converting to sheet metal.  Just looking for some opinions.  I've attached the .sldprt.  Below is snip of my method on left and the part I opened from detailer on right.  Thanks.

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture.PNG

Attachments

Outcomes