16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 4:25 PM by Justin Cole

EPDM - .sldprt - SolidWorks Resource Monitor

Justin Cole

I am not really sure what question to ask or how to ask it.  Maybe someone else has seen something similar or has some ideas though.

I am working with files in an EPDM file vault that I inherited.  The files that I am working with were created by someone that is no longer with our company.

This is happening with several .sldprt files

In Solidworks - Open File - .sldprt

Select part file to open

SolidWorks or the .sldprt file or EPDM attempts to open dozens of .sldprt and .sldasm files ((as though I am attempting to open an assembly maybe?))

Pop up notifications and dialogue boxes ensue warning me that files are not checked out in EPDM, asking if I want to check parts out, stating that EPDM cannot locate files, files are in a rolled back state, and so on.

SolidWorks Resource Manager warnings pop up and eventually Solidworks crashes and shuts itself down.

The Contains tab in EPDM does not show any references.

The Where Used tab shows that the .sldprt file is used in one or more drawings.

The Version tab shows several versions of the file.

The .slddrw file for the associated .sldprt file seems to have the same problem.

Thoughts, ideas, funny stories?

Thank you.

• Re: EPDM - .sldprt - SolidWorks Resource Monitor
          Matthew Phaneuf

Hey Justin;

without having any detailed info, screenshots, etc., this almost sounds like the user who know longer works there made "Save-As" parts; more specifically, if you are simply trying to open an .sldprt and you see connected parts, there are relationships there. They might be references to sketches, other .sldprts, something created relationships there with what you are trying to open.

Could you take a screenshot of what you are seeing during open/check out, that would help.

Thanks

MattP

Justin Cole

Thanks for the reply Mathew.  Here are a few pictures.  Each one of these alerts pops up multiple times for different lost or missing file references.  Some of the locations do not at this time exist in the vault and so may have been deleted or renamed.  At one point I counted at least 35 files that SolidWorks was attempting to open.  I have also tried getting and opening earlier versions of files with the same result.  At each prompt I Cancel or select No or Don't Check Out.

Open File.pngCheck Out 1.pngCheck Out 2.pngCheck Out 3.pngSuppress.pngMultiple Files Open.png

Check Out Multiple Files.png

Brian McEwen

Off topic, but holly toolbars Cole-man! 

Is that really the way you work? Can't some of them at least be on the same row? But may be you have a 30" monitor or something.

Justin Cole

Haha, yeah Brian, those are a lot of tool bars.  And I don't typically work that way.  I managed to crash Solidworks and my machine several times trying to open a part file and all of the references that acme with it and somewhere along the way all of those tool bars mysteriously appeared.  I have no idea.  I just figured that I would leave them there until I got the problem sorted out.  And 19" and 27" monitors btw.  You can never have too much real estate.  I'd like to talk the boss into another 27".  Maybe once this project is all sorted out...

Jim Sculley

Use the References button in the SolidWorks 'File...Open' dialog to see what files are being referenced and from where they are being referenced.  Once you have that list, you can track down whether or not the files exist in the vault, outside the vault or not at all.  If the files exist (inside or outside the vault), you can check out the file and then use the 'Tools...Update References' option from EPDM (in Windows Explorer) to bring in any references from outside the vault or to point any broken references to the correct locations inside the vault.

Jim S.

Justin Cole

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Using the same file shown in the pictures in my reply to Mathew... here are some pictures attempting to reconcile the references as you suggest.  There only appears to be one file referenced.  Please let me know if I am missing something.

References.pngReplace.png

Justin Cole

Jim

When looking at the file shown as a reference to the first file, the referenced file references two assemblies.  This may be the problem, or/and the path to the solution...

If I have to dig all the way down to the bottom of the assembly to fix references this could be a nightmare.

References 2.png

Matthew Phaneuf

Hey Justin;

so in screenshot #5, Justin Hunt saved a copy of the Assembly on his local C drive.

In screenshot #7, you are opening a drawing, that is dependent on an assembly, that is dependent on several parts.

I was initially suspect of the .sldprt you were trying to open. According to your screenshots, you're trying to open a drawing, and an assembly, not just a part.

People who either don't follow directions (rules) or try to be sneaky in file management when working in a Vault cause these types of issues, I'm not accusing, I'm not pointing fingers. However, Justin Hunt last worked on that assembly on his local drive, because that's where it's pointing back to. The Vault admin will have to go his machine, and open that assembly. Then the admin will have to check the entire assembly into the Vault. That will put the latest version of all dependent documents in the Vault, and with Justin Hunt (the user) releasing ownership, the other Vault users (you) will have no problems either viewing, opening, or editing (taking ownership) of the drawing, assembly, or a single part.

If the admin can't go physically take the place of Justin Hunt, there will be a problem. Those files may not be accessible; and then this will help you understand why many companies develop a checklist when dealing with former employees. If they separate while they have files checked out with ownership, or if they tried to skirt the rules of a Vault (like squirreling away a separate "local" copy - usually done b/c they want a backup - they have no understanding of how a Vault works, or just don't believe it), it will cause other users to experience what you are now.

Follow the steps in that middle paragraph to repair. If you can't let me know.

MattP

Justin Cole

Thanks for sticking with me and providing input Mathew.

In case it wasn't clear (although it may not matter ultimately) each of the pictures/notifications are the result of one action - trying to open the one file shown in the first picture.  So all of the prompts/pictures that follow that one... opening parts and assemblies and more parts... is triggered by attempting to open the one .sldprt file.  Weird huh?  Though based on the solution posed by Jim Sculley, the .sldprt file references another .sldprt file that references 2 .sldasm's and I imagine the daisy chain goes on and on though I haven't verified it yet.

You can accuse and point fingers all you want, I'll do it with you.  And it will be fun, but you and I both know where that will get us.

So there's good news and bad news... I am the vault admin (good & bad) and I am quite possibly working from the same computer that Justin Hunt used to create and store the files.  I also have admin rights to the computer.  Logging onto the computer as Justin Hunt however may be impossible.  Or at the very least a battle of epic proportions, as logging in with another users credentials is against corporate policy and I would have to convince one of the IT demi-gods that is hidden away somewhere akin to Area 51 to assist me.  So pretty much fat chance.

I did see that EPDM is looking for files in the C directory and I was kind of hoping that meant the local vault view.  I haven't been able to locate anything in the C/Users/that other guy folder yet though.

And as an aside, I've also got vault files checked out by users that have since been deleted.  More luck.

Thanks again for offering assistance and providing me with a place and direction to rant and ramble.

Matthew Phaneuf

Thanks for sticking with me and providing input Mathew.

In case it wasn't clear (although it may not matter ultimately) each of the pictures/notifications are the result of one action - trying to open the one file shown in the first picture.  So all of the prompts/pictures that follow that one... opening parts and assemblies and more parts... is triggered by attempting to open the one .sldprt file.  Weird huh?  Though based on the solution posed by Jim Sculley, the .sldprt file references another .sldprt file that references 2 .sldasm's and I imagine the daisy chain goes on and on though I haven't verified it yet.

Jim is on the mark here, many ways to achieve the same results in SW; regardless, the referenced files are your enemy.

You can accuse and point fingers all you want, I'll do it with you.  And it will be fun, but you and I both know where that will get us.

I’m not trying to rub salt in the wound, I’m just trying to impress upon you the importance of the users of the Vault following the rules. I would try to document all this, and then have a sit down with your boss(es) to reiterate “the rules”. Maybe this is a good time to everyone to revisit “best practices”

So there's good news and bad news... I am the vault admin (good & bad) and I am quite possibly working from the same computer that Justin Hunt used to create and store the files.  I also have admin rights to the computer.  Logging onto the computer as Justin Hunt however may be impossible.  Or at the very least a battle of epic proportions, as logging in with another users credentials is against corporate policy and I would have to convince one of the IT demi-gods that is hidden away somewhere akin to Area 51 to assist me.  So pretty much fat chance.

Justin – does Justin Hunt still work there? It’s his C drive. Someone will have to get those files off of his C drive. That’s the solution. If he doesn’t work there, then IT should have no problem doing this. I, too, work for a corporation. I’ve explained this same scenario, and I got buy in from IT and MGMNT – you should too, no worries.

I did see that EPDM is looking for files in the C directory and I was kind of hoping that meant the local vault view.  I haven't been able to locate anything in the C/Users/that other guy folder yet though.

It is the local C drive – Justin Hunt’s. see above

And as an aside, I've also got vault files checked out by users that have since been deleted.  More luck.

So the users checked out the files and then deleted them? Well, they’re deleted, not destroyed. Use your admin power to “reclaim” the files.  If they’re not in the Deleted Folder of the Vault, and they are truly Destroyed, well, mention to your boss what the users are doing. This goes against all kinds of document controls and configuration rules. I wouldn't want my boss knowing I did that.

Thanks again for offering assistance and providing me with a place and direction to rant and ramble.

This forum can be great Justin. I’m just trying to pay it forward.

Justin Cole

Mathew

Yes, the referenced files are the enemy.  I need to make peace with them and establish friendly relations.  Wine and dine them.  And make them dance for me.  This isn't necessarily relevant to topic at hand and may be TMI, but for the sake of throwing it all out there... my task is to sort through all of these part files (and assemblies and drawings) that were created by my predecessor, check them, update them, etc et al, and use them to have all the pieces of a machine (for lack of a better word) manufactured so that we can assemble it.  It's a can of worms.  I've got more or less no real background on what was done previously.  It was lost with the departure of the creator.

And the salted wound... I wasn't directing sarcasm at you.  I apologize if it came across that way and meant absolutely no offense in any form.  I am genuinely happy to bash people that aren't here because of things they have done that they shouldn't have.  If they knew better or should have known better.  It can make for fun and laughs, though obviously unproductive.  It still feels good.  But again that's just a way to make myself feel better and put off the inevitable.  Sooner or later I've got to either fix it or scrap it.

More of the good news/bad news... I am the guy.  The only guy.  Designer, engineer, admin.  I am doing my best to adapt, create, and follow best practices.  And document them.  A courtesy I didn't inherit with this job.  So from here on out I only get to blame myself.

I have checked the vault for deleted files and came up empty there too.  The files may have been created on a local drive eons ago.  Before our current EPDM.  Or some other scenario that hasn't yet been considered.

There have been at least three other people with there fingers in the can of worms since Justin Hunt (1.0) and myself (2.0) and who knows what they did.  I'm the only one so far to make it past the 3 month mark.  I'm on month 8 now and I don't plan on going anywhere else any time soon.  There's some frustrating work to be done, but it is work and I can turn it into an adventure If I so choose.  Though getting meaningful work accomplished is sporadic.

I do really appreciate you and Jim taking the time to throw out ideas and solutions and I am closer to getting this sorted out.  By shutting down the external references I can at least open the files, view them, and break them down into smaller more manageable bites.

Thanks!!!

Matthew Phaneuf

Justin;

I wish you well - ePDM is pretty tough when it comes to issues, especially some here on the Forum. Vaults can be complex, and many times, I think we're just throwing out the best suggestions we can. Your situation is similar to many others I talk to, including mine over the years, don't get so discouraged. Imagine what you can learn from this one single problem ya know?

MattP

Jim Sculley

You can also turn off the loading of referenced documents in the System options:

You can change the setting to 'None' and this may allow you to at least open the file an investigate why there are external references.

Jim S.

Justin Cole

Thanks Jim!

This will at least allow me to open the individual files without opening all of the references  and crashing.  And may get me to the point of being able to fix errors further down the chain.  It seems like this is more a case of treating the symptoms rather than the root cause, but it  will definitely help.  Thank you!

Einar Gulbrandsen

Just remember as an admin you can always try to use the "undo check out".

Usually this can be used for almost all files in the vault regardless of what PC the files are checked out at. The order of checked in / undo chek out should be.

1. user check in

2. user undo check out

3. admin check in (and uses the the same PC)

4. admin undo check out (and uses the the same PC)

5. admin check in (and uses a different PC)

6. admin undo check out (and uses a different PC)

some pictures for the 6th scenario:

Dwellop-00181.png

admin login

Dwellop-00182.png

unable to check in

Dwellop-00184.png

undo checkout

Dwellop-00185.png

and YES

Brian McEwen

I don't think this has been covered.  It sounds like the auto check-out messages are also part of the annoyance. Those can be disabled in the Enterprise PDM>>Options menu in SolidWorks. 

epdm-options.PNG

Good luck.