I double checked these settings, but i had them set the same.
Problem is still there, with no error messages.
When i open the parts, or "edit" them, without making changes, they each update just fine...
Try removing the Global Variable in the Sub-Assembly and just have the Sub- Assembly dimension be driven by the top level Variable.
I'm having the same problem and I think I found the problem.
I have an assembly, and subassembly with two weldments, and I'm trying to drive the lenght of the two weldments with global variable in top assembly. The second weldment wasn't updating as I changed the global variable, but somehow the first weldment was changing lenght, which was strange for me as I think I didn't do anything different.
What finaly worked for me was that I deleted the dimension of the second part and then while edit that weldment in context of top assembly I dimensioned again and assigned to it a global variable in top assembly. Now it works for me for both weldments, I hope it will work for you too.
Creating a "layout" or "control" sketch within a part, and inserting that part into both parts & assemblies avoids that problem.
Hopefully I'm following your troubles correctly, but here's my two cents...
As an alternative to creating (and recreating) sketches to link to global vars to link across files, have you tried saving your equations to a linked text file and then have all SW files requiring the common numbers link to this text file.
When you edit the text file, all SW files will be updated the same.
Plus, this text file is included in a Pack and Go, so you don't need to remember to include it for a PnG.
Also, if you want to recreate your current main assembly into a new overall assembly, you can have PnG make a new copy of the text file which will be associated to the new overall assembly.
Edit the new text file, if required, and the new assembly rebuilds accordingly. From one edit session in one file.
I hope this helps (and that it applies to your issue).
We had similar troubles when having comments in the equation of the subparts.
Deleting the comments in the equations helped to get the automatic update.
May this helps someone ...