9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 3:17 PM by Scott Moore

Paper size for template changes depending on the user, why?

Matthew Francis

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue that i have not been able to solve. Currently we have 5 computers all using SW14. The issue we are having is that when one of the computer goes into our b-size drawing template and goes to page setup the paper size is "Letter" (8.5 x 11) but we want it to be "'ledger" (11 x 17). So i have that user do a save as of the template and changes that paper setting to ledger. when that computer pull up the newly saved template is now says ledger like intended however the other computers now all say the paper size is letter, not ledger like it should be like it is on the one computer that saved it. now if i have a different computer save over the template again and change the paper setting back to ledger, it is ledger for that computer now but not for the original computer, it now sees the paper size as letter. Does anyone know if this a SolidWorks setting or is it a printer setting? if the computers had different versions of the driver for that printer could that be an issue? im just trying to think of any possible solutions or areas to look into to maybe help this issue. Thanks for your time

Matt

• Re: Paper size for template changes depending on the user, why?
          Glenn Schroeder

Just to clarify, when the same users open a new drawing with the same template they come in using different sheet formats?  I'm not sure what you mean by "goes into our b-size drawing template and goes to page setup".  Do you mean right-clicking on the sheet and choosing "Properties" from the drop-down to get to the sheet properties dialog box?  Please see #2 here: Frequently Asked Forum Questions for more information about sheet formats and drawing templates.

Matthew Francis

Not exactly Glenn. what i am trying to explain is that when user "A" opens our drawing template named "b-size drawing" and goes File/Page Setup. The the paper size selected is letter, which for our printer is 8.5 x 11 (a-size). Now if user "A" changes the paper size to ledger, which for our printer is 11 x 17 (b-size) and does a save as of the drawing template saving over the "b-size drawing template" and opens the new saved drawing template and looks at the paper size is not correctly says ledger. Now if i have user "B" open the same template on a different computer the paper size for them which was Ledger has now switched to letter. If i now have User "B" do a save as of the same template and change the paper size back to ledger for that computer is then switches User A's drawiing template back to letter when user A opens that same template again. All computers and users are using the same sheet formats and all are connected to the same printer. does that help explain it any better Glenn?

Matt Rohr

You're talking about when you print the drawing or how it appears on the screen?

Jamil Snead

It's the sheet format that controls the paper size, the template doesn't store that information directly. So I think that even though you change the paper size and save the template, it still points to the A size sheet format. For the user that made the change the format has been modified to 11x17, so for starting a new sheet with the new template would open it up on 11x17 paper. But without saving the sheet format the other users won't have that change. And I bet if the user changes the paper to B size and then tries to start a new A size drawing it will be 11x17.

I think you'll need to save a separate B size sheet format too, then save the new B size template using the B size format.

Glenn Schroeder

I agree with Jamil.  I'd strongly recommend having two separate sheet formats, one for each sheet size, and then have two drawing templates, one using each sheet format.

Matthew Francis

We already have a "b-size" sheet format saved and all of the computers using that sheet format for this template. This occurs when we are trying to print the drawings, the paper size that is selected changes depending on what user(computer) opens the saved drawing template.

EX: user A: makes a part, then goes to the make drawing from part seletection and selects our "b-size drawing template". if that user goes to File/Page Setup they see this:

PAPER SIZE LETTER.PNG

Now if that same user saves over the b-size drawing template using the same sheet format as before and is the same sheet format that each computer is looking at and saves the paper size as Ledger. They then open the new b-size drawing template and go to File/Page Setup, it  will now show ledger like intended.

PAPER SIZE LEDGER.PNG

However if a different computer now opens that same b-size template and goes to Flie/Page Setup the paper setting now says letter for them. If this user then does a save of the drawing template changing it back to ledger for them, again using the same sheet format, it then switches user A template's paper size back to letter. So i don't think this has anything to do with sheet formats cause sheet format doesn't deal with the paper size for the printer of the document is deals with working area available in that drawing template. correct?

Jamil Snead

I didn't realize you were talking about printing. I don't think that printer settings are saved with the drawing template. I'm guessing it always defaults to letter, and if you change to ledger it will stay on ledger until you close the document maybe. I don't know how to link the printer paper size to the drawing template. I always save as pdfs and then print the pdfs, so I don't run into this issue. When you print form a pdf there is an option to use the printer paper that matches the pdf size.

John Burrill

I think you'll probably have to change your printer preferences on each machine to make the default paper tray 11X17.  I don't think SolidWorks stores the canoncal paper size the way AutoCAD does.

Scott Moore

I have noticed the same problem on our system. This seems to be a bug going back many, many years. If you open the file, set the paper size in the page setup menu and then save and close the file, the paper size will stay set the next time the file is opened. However, if you open the drawing again, save and close it without the added step of opening the page setup, the paper type will change to whatever the default is for the printer.

So one solution is to get in the habit of opening the page setup menu, checking paper size, and saving the file every time you open it.

Or another possible solution seems to be that whichever printer you are using for the size paper you want needs to be set up to use that size paper by default on each computer using the file.

For example, say you are using a specific printer to print on 11 x 17 paper. You would have to open the "devices and printers" menu, RMB the printer and select printer properties. On the General tab, click on Preferences, select the Paper/Quality tab, and then set your default paper size to 11x17.

This needs to be done on each computer accessing the file. Then when the document settings are set to this paper size, it will stay with the file.

So far this is the only way(s) I have found to work around this particular problem.