10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 3:09 PM by robert dattilo

How's SW  2015 sp2 working for people?

robert dattilo

Hello;

My boss says he's thinking of bumping up to 2015. I see that it's on sp2, & was wondering are most of the

usually new release issues resolved?

Thanks, in advance for any input;

Rob_D SW 2014 sp4

• Re: How's SW  2015 sp2 working for people?
          Adrian Velazquez

We are still in 2014, and might skip 2015. Base on experience I've come up with a Checklist for making the decision:

1. What new features/functionality in the latest release are the ones that will immediately benefit the users/environment.

-Lot's of times one dives into a new release just because it's new... but not really evaluate how it will benefit.

2.Is the new release stable.

-Pretty much what you're doing now, what is the experience of the adventurous (the ones that dive in early).

3. Install the New release locally for in-house testing:

-Open up your files (larger assemblies and complex parts are a good test).

-Make sure they don't crash

-Test any files that use advance features (Equations, configurations, macros, surfacing...)

* I've experienced functionality on new releases that BREAKS how some models are setup.

4. Can we afford a potential productivity

-Make sure to do the upgrade on the middle of a critical project.

The main reason we might skip 2015 are the first two steps. Again, this my Checklist based on lessons learned

Glenn Schroeder

I waited also, and watched the Forum closely, but the only issue I saw that would affect me was with the Hole Wizard.  It was fixed with sp 1.1, so I went ahead and updated then.  I haven't had any significant issues.

John Stoltzfus

Working awesome here - I hate to miss an update

Alin Vargatu

Update 2015.Mar.05: One thing I really like about SW Dev. is how fast they react on releasing new patches if required. At this time I suggest waiting for SP 2.1. It should be out very soon.

Declan McTiernan

Hi Robert,

I would suggest holding back on any upgrade for now. We jumped 2014 as one of customers was running 2015 and was sending us models which we couldn't open. We are having random crashing issues with trivial tasks such as selecting a face during mating or if we double-click a part feature to change a dimension while in an assembly. Pack and go has an issue with the font colors not changing properly.

Wished our customer had stayed on 2014.

Regards,

Declan.

Mark Kaiser

What's your history with upgrading?  Do you generally run into problems when you upgrade to a new version?  If you don't, I'd say go for it, as you probably don't work on stuff that's too hard for SW.  If you generally encounter problems when upgrading, I'd be hesitant, install 15 on a test machine, and try it on some files.

We don't have issues here, so we go all in on upgrades.  Go big or go home.

robert dattilo

Hello;

In response to Alin, it appears that Sp2.1 is out, and we are more product and don't do alot of weldments, so wondering if people are pretty happy now in general with 2015 Sp2.1?

Thanks, in advance for any input;

Rob_D