I am trying to create a simple PCB with the following features:
(1) Base board of some thickness
(2) One layer of trace/copper strip on top
(3) Some plated through holes
I can draw the design in SW as a single Part file, but I don't know how to export it into CW correctly. The ultimate goal is to pass on the CW data in IDF format to a designer with other tools such as Altium, who will then generate the Gerber files for board production later on.
- Right now I figured out to do (1) I just need to select the base board Extrusion.
- However, I cant seem to generate a 2nd layer on top of the base board for (2). My thoughts is that if I can do this then I can then set this 2nd layer to Conductor material which would be my trace?
- For (3) it seems I need to use Extruded Cut instead of Hole Wizard. This is a minor annoyance but nothing serious. Although I am not sure about the different Hole Types and other options/settings I see in the CW properties...
Since I am unfamiliar with PCB design in general, maybe I am going about this the wrong way or not understanding the settings I need to use in SW/CW. Alternatively, perhaps there are other more suitable tools for this application. Regardless, I would appreciate any help/insight on this task.
Thank you kindly in advance,