5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 2:20 AM by Jared Conway

Flow simulation crashes

Kamran Rad

Hi:

I was conducting a CFD simulation case using solidworks flow simulation.In order to check some geometry variation check, i disable the flow simulation (removing the tick from the tools> add-in) and the made my change to geometry, but afterwards when I re-load the flow simulation add-in it starts hanging and I believe I can not access to CFD case setting anymore. Does anyone have any solution or work around for this case.

Any comments is highly appreciated

best regards

• Re: Flow simulation crashes
          Chris Michalski

Why are you disabling Flow while making changes?  I leave Flow enabled in the background continuously.

I doubt that is the problem, but if you leave it active while you make changes you might find out which change is problematic.

Kamran Rad

Chris;

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to get rid of that annoying message of "computational domain has changed to you want to reset....". Anyway now that I restart solidworks and load my assembly file and then enable the flow simulation it hangs or it seems that it can not load it (the solidworks logo on the left hand side of screen remains grey). I believe due to changes in geometry, the flo can not recognize the fluid domain. So do you think there is any way to recover my simulation or fix this issue?

best regards

Chris Michalski

You can prevent the "computational domain..." problem by disabling "automatic rebuild" while you make changes but leave flow active.  Once you are done then you can enable automatic rebuild again.

Do you have a set of geometry saved from before you made those changes?  I've never had a problem where changes to a model made the flow software unstable.

What if you open another model that has Flow data?  Does that open correctly?

Kamran Rad

Chris:

Yes I have opened another model and the flow work properly, but as soon as I open the assembly I want to carry on with simulation it crashes, I hope there will be a solution for this without doing the whole thing again?

best regards

Jared Conway

does it crash or does it hang?

if it is hanging, it is still doing work as long as the CPU and ram in the task manager are still doing something

if it is crashing, try deleting all the files in the results directory and then reopening solidworks and the file, at least then you don't have to redo the setup