19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 8:53 AM by Ross Warren

windows explorer crashing

Christopher Maynard

I keep experiencing issues with Windows Explorer. I keep it open (for obvious reasons) while using Solidworks and several times a day it crashes. This happens whether or not I am actually navigating Windows Explorer. This began happening after I installed SW 2015. I thought the problem might be a faulty install, so I had my computer wiped and everything installed fresh, but the same thing started happening the next day. I read that it might be bc of all the shell extensions I had installed so I downloaded a program to remove them. Still had the same problem. Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so, what have you done to remedy it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: windows explorer crashing
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Christopher,

Have you upgraded to SP02? See this thread:

windows explorer crashes when saving

I hope this helps,

Jim

Andy Sanders

I had this happen to me today.  I only had Edrawings 2015 open at the time.  Nothing really happened that I noticed but the header in this popup said explorer.exe.

I am using SP2.

2015_explorer_reliability.JPG2015_SLDRESU_DLL_CRASH_WINEXPLORER.JPG

Mark Fitzpatrick

Same thing here after the upgrade. I polled several users and some have experienced it while others have not. I reported it to our admin, not response yet.

forgot to add we are at SP4.

Mark Fitzpatrick

I've crashed explorer about 7 times already and I've only been at work 1 hr 40 minutes!

Ross Warren

I feel your pain Mark Fitzpatrick.  Ours hasn't been THAT crazy, but it does seem to happen to most users at least once or twice a day....Aggravating to say the least...Makes me want to take a long hard look at Inventor/Fusion 360, and I really hate to say that as I've been a long time booster of Solidworks

This seems to be happening to enough people that you'd think they'd be taking a serious look at fixing it.  I hope.

Shailesh Kandage

Hi Mark and Ross,

Are you using Enterprise PDM and its Windows Explorer integration? It would help us narrow the problem to Enterprise PDM if it is indeed the case.

Thanks
                          Shailesh

Ross Warren

Hello Shailesh, in my case the answer is YES.  I am running Solidworks EDPM (2015, but not sure of the SP) with Solidworks 2015 SP 4.0, and have a Windows Explorer window (in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) open with a view into the Vault so that I can see files, assemblies, and parts to know if they are checked out, by whom, the state they are in, version, where used, and occasionally to see a preview of what the file looks like to see if it is what I need to add to my assembly or simply for reference.

It is this Explorer window that dies fairly often.  After navigating our folders to get to where I need to be for this, it is frustrating to have it die often, and then have to navigate back again and again and again.  Also when this window dies, it often seems to "lock up" Solidworks until it is closed.

Thank you,

Ross

Mark Fitzpatrick

I am also using EPDM.

SW 2015 SP4. Not sure what the SP of the EPDM is.

Shailesh Kandage

Hi Mark and Ross

Thank you for the details. Could you please open the support request with VAR and email me the SR number, I will follow up to investigate it. It will most likely need collecting some explorer crash dumps from your machines.

Anyone else in this thread who is also having similar explorer crashes with PDM, please let me know and we can look at this together to see if there is a common thread to this.

Thanks

Shailesh

Ross Warren

Thank you Shailesh.  Unfortunately we are swamped with work here till the end of the year and I most likely will not be able to try addressing this issue till perhaps January.  We are just trying to get by till then.  We have had some issue with our Vault and the VAR (Trimech) has made some attempts to fix some speed issues along with our IT department.

If we can we will address this eventually and definitely want to from our perspective, but as I say, we are focused right now 100% on just getting some work done.

Thank you very much,

Ross

Mark Fitzpatrick

That has been done with zero results (typical from our VAR).

Case Number: CAPINC-037494

Opened: 11/19/2015 10:10 AM

Product:
                                          SolidWorks

Description:
                                          See desc. about crashing

Resolution: Per s/r notes, OK to close because crashing stopped /
                                          Reopen if needed

SPR
                                          (where applicable):

Closed:
                                          12/9/2015 3:25 PM

They usually ignore you then after a while close the case. I let them know they couldn't close this case. Then nothing but crickets......

Ross Warren

Hey Mark,

The "workaround" proposed by our VAR is to set the Preview window in EPDM to NOT use the interactive e-Drawings, but instead to set the Vault View to be the static thumbnail.  Obviously, not as useful, but we can most of the time tell a bit about the part we are setting on.

We have not yet tried this, to verify it stops the crashes, but apparently  it is an issue with e-Drawings or some interaction between it and the Vault.

Hopefully it is something that will be fixed eventually.

Note also I suspect that *some* of the crashes are related to the number of graphic objects that Windows has up at any given time. There is a buzzword for them that I can't remember off the top of my head, but anyway, if you exceed that number, Windows Explorer will crash.  EDIT:  They are called GDI Objects and you can show them and their number by turning  a column on for them in the Task Manager.  This is a stupid Windows issue, unrelated to EPDM.

Thanks,

Ross Warren

Ross Warren

We are at 2015 SP 4 here and experience this fairly often. At first I thought it was related to the number of GDI objects going over the limit that Windows 7 can address, but it happens so often, that I'm inclined to think something else is going on. We use EPDM and obviously you'd like to keep a window into the Vault open for looking for things, checking items out, etc., so it is aggravating to say the least, especially if you have to navigate down deep in your directory structure to get to where you want to be. 

If anyone can figure it out, it sure would be a big help.

Our VAR suggested keeping the tab in the Window to the Data Card as opposed to an actual preview, thinking this might help.  I'm not sure it did.

Thanks,

Ross Warren

David Hunkins

Using SW2015 SP4.0. This has been happening to me on a regular basis since we moved to SW2015. I don't see any correlating activity that causes WinExp to close. And yes, it's extremely frustrating when I have the Vault open. Hope to see a fix soon!

Scott Mohr

I had/have this issue as well, since "upgrading" to 2015.

The solution from my VAR is to display windows explorer in "list", rather than "detail view".

Give that a shot...

-Scott

Ross Warren

Scott,

If that works, all well and good, but it severely limits the usefulness of having a Window open in the Vault at all if you can't see the Status of a file, who has it checked out, etc., on the fly.  Hopefully if this is not related to Windows 7 limits on GDI objects, then it is something Dassault ought to fix ASAP.

Thanks for the tip though,

Ross

Michael Sass

We also explore this on 2015 SP4 from one day to another. One day all worked perfect and next day all problems with SW.

Tried several things like reinstall and repair but problems just keep on. Maybe it's a Microsoft thing?

I'm looking forward to SW release 2015 SP5

Christopher Maynard

Sorry I haven't been active on this thread since I posted the original question. I marked Jim Wilkinson's reply as the correct answer because the problem did go away after installing a later service pack (can't remember the exact one). A co-worker of mine was experiencing the same problem until he downloaded the service pack as well. I haven't had the problem in a while which I am thankful for.

Hopefully you guys found answers to some of the problems you were having through this thread.

Thanks everyone!