16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 8:02 AM by Maro Maro

How to do  from 2d drawing to 3d model

Maro Maro

I have boat drawing 2d dwg file from top view ,how do i start to make 3d model of boat with 2d drawing ?

• Re: How to do  from 2d drawing to 3d model
          Alex Holt

You can open the dwg into a sketch in a new (blank) part.

John Stoltzfus

Like Alex mentioned above

Then the part dialog box opens

select ok

Timothy Taby

Assuming that you have Autocad aor a DWG viewer of some sort, you can open a sketch in Soliworks on a plane, then copy/paste the DWG 2D file into the sketch.  I know this works great from Autocad as I do it all the time with 2D geometry.  Then use the skect that is created as a template for other sketches that you can make your 3D shpaes from.

*** Whne you paste the DWG you might have to move it into location in the Solidworks skecth.  The way I do this is creat an orgin in the DWG file and then move everything using that as the from/to point in the sketch move command.

Jody Holm

Converting from 2d to 3d is not a push button magical command. All you are doing is importing a 2d sketch into Solidworks so you don't have to sketch the shape of your feature from scratch. Once you import the 2d sketch, you can select the lines instead drawing the lines to make your shape. Thats all it is. So, if all you have just the top view of your boat, all you are going to be able to do with it is use it to make a protrusion of that shape. That will give you a boat with a flat bottom. Shell it out and your done.

Maro Maro

Thank you very much all !! big thx.... im  doing this on my brothers work pc ( he have auto cad and solidworks2014 but 99%of time he use just autocad for his work) ...im kicking my head with this more then 10 says im just starting to use solid works but i menage to draw top of the boat and now what to make 3d model of it..

First i go did go file,then new and window appears with 3 options  part assembly drawing , i click part  then ok .then i have blank sheet and then i go again to file open ,locate my dwg file of boat and in new window select import to new part as 2d sketch then new window appear  dxf_dwg import-document settings with model pics  then next define sketchorigin- apply x0.00 y0.00 then finish and i got my top wiew pic on background ,is this right steps or im doing sometnig wrong 120.jpg

Maro Maro

Thx Mark Kaiser ...ive spent hundreds of hours on you tube tutorials but cant find what im looking for anywhere (i made same boat like this one and 30+ boat hulls already)  E8 SolidWorks Loft Boat - YouTube

Mark Kaiser

So what features in SW are you familar with to make a 3D part? 

Sounds like to me you're starting this project without much of any experience in SW, which is why I suggested the built in tutorials first, meaning the tutorials SW has already, not youtube:

Untitled.png

This forum used to be for helping people when they had a problem after already diving into building something in SW, not teaching them how to start.

Feel free to correct me if my assumptions are not correct.

Maro Maro

Thank you very much Mark ! Didnt see this tutoruials but now ill watch read am all .

im NOT familiar in sw   3D  , not in any other 3d program also... i did menage to make hulls for catamaran boat in 3 d and im suck in other things .

Your assumptions are correct.

I really don't know  how this forum used to be i join this forum today after spending week on this matter and couldn't find answer anywhere else , so im sorry if my question was not appropriate to post here in SW forum !

Maro Maro

DSC00051.jpgwhat will i have to do from now on this pics

Jody Holm

As Mark says, you do the tutorials next. You do them, you do not watch them. You will see the link to them when you open Solidworks. See attachment.

A boat hull is a pretty large task for someone who has zero experience with 3d software. There are many ways to create your model. You really do not have enough information on your sketch to create the hull or anything for that matter. You need at least 2 more views and that will still not be enough.

Do the tutorials and find the best way to make the hull that satisfies you. You are the designer. Good luck.

Maro Maro

Thank you Jody  ! I AM  doing practice tutorials all day long and will keep practicing them every day until i got better...

Its a power catamaran boat hull, and i made it allready ,relatively easy and its simple shape comparing with monohull . I know it is a large task, but have 60 free days and im willing to learn and try instead drinking in bars .

And my take on this project is like old saying from Thomas A. Edison: 'I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work.'

I have 90% of other dimensions just have to put them all together ,but this will go on later stage  for now im practicing 3d. Thank you again Jody !