6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 7:10 AM by Richard Bremmer

Can EPDM notification emails contain hotlinks to actually change the state?

Chris B.

Hi All

For example:  the user receives an email, clicks the link that says "Approve" and the state is changed automatically to "Approved"?

Is this possible?  If so, how to do it?

Thanks

Chris

EPDM 2014

• Re: Can EPDM notification emails contain hotlinks to actually change the state?
          Hari Rama Krishna Neelakantam

Chris B

i hope there is no possibility with this kind of feature in EPDM. More over Through the mail we don't have this kind of state change feature.

If the file has change to next state then only the respected user can get notification mail , that as the file has changed into another state.

hope you understood.

• Re: Can EPDM notification emails contain hotlinks to actually change the state?
            Jim Stone

Wouldn't such a capability negate the purpose of having the approval step in the first place? It would allow the approver to "approve" drawings without even seeing them! I agree with the previous poster and don't think this is a functionality we should have.

Chris B.

Hi Hari and Jim

Thanks for your reply.  I do see your point.

This is the workflow that was intended:

Sales engineer sends drawing to customer for approval.  It's now in "Pending approval" state.  Customer sends approval to sales engineer.  Sales engineer does a state change to approve it, and it then goes to "Pending production".  Then the production scheduler would get an email notification, and when they are ready to build that job, they would click the hotlink in the email notification to acknowledge it, sending the drawing into the state "In production".  The reason it doesn't go straight from "Pending approval" into "In production" is that maybe it has to go back to the "Revision" state before then.

Our production planner is extremely busy, and we don't want them to have to open SolidWorks, or EPDM or similar every time to initiate the job.  They don't need to see the drawing to start the job, because it's already been approved by others.

So thought a hotlink would be the best way.

Thanks

Chris

Jim Stone

Chris,

OK, I do see what you're trying to do and it makes sense in your situation. I don't know of a way to change state directly through an email link, however.

And I can't think of an alternative off the top of my head that wouldn't require another touch point in the process, which you're obviously trying to avoid. Does the "In Production" state make the drawing directly available to the production floor through EPDM permissions? Or does it create a PDF, which then becomes available to production in a shared folder somewhere?

Chris B.

Thanks Jim, for your reply.

The "In Production" state would generate a PDF for producton to see.  However...

The "In Production" state is really just a formality for our SolidWorks drawings and EPDM  workflow only (being managed by us in R&D).

Production has a separate workflow that actually drives them to build something.  They don't use any drawings right now - they get a piece of paper with written dimensions on it from our MRP system, and they build to that.

We've not used EPDM before.  We're working to tie in this (new) EPDM workflow into their workflow, to hopefully get them to start using these drawings as well.

The problem is how to get people to do state changes on drawings when it's just to keep our documentation tidy.  All they care is they built it, and shipped it, and they're on to the next job.  No time to go back and change state on the drawings for each job, when they're doing 100 a day.

But we want to look in the Vault and see if the job is "In Production" or "Completed"

Standard workflow.png