1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 8:41 PM by Jared Conway

Custom Materials - Define Custom Location

John Willett

I would like to have SW Premium (currently 2014 64bit SP5.0) look in a personal location for new custom materials that I have defined, so that they don't get lost if I have to re-install SW 2014 or when I install SW 2015.  (I want to be able to run either version.)

I can see under Options/File Locations/Material Databases that "C:\ProgramData\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2014\Custom Materials" is listed as a search location.  I want to move my custom materials (already stored in the existing file, "Custom Materials.sldmat" there, I presume) to a new folder on my personal drive so that they will be available permanently.  I've added the desired folder to the Options/File Locations/Material Databases folders list and promoted it to the top.  Is it sufficient to copy to the aforementioned .sldmat file to that new folder?  Will new custom materials then be added to the new copy as I create them, to the original Custom Materials.sldmat, or to both? -- John Willett

P.S. -- This is really a Windows 7 issue, I guess, but the directory, C:\ProgramData\... doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, even run from an Administrator account.  The only way I found this file was to use the Start Button/Search Box and search the whole computer.  Any idea why? -- J.W.