10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 3:52 PM by J. Mather

3d Tubing

Robert Hodges

Hello all,

I need some suggestions on how to re-produce the tube below. The tube is part of a bicycle frame. This is the left tube and I will mirror the right tube. The rest of the frame is complete, and I have used the Weldment Feature to create the tubing along the sketch path. The thing that is throwing me off is the rotating and the bend of the tube. Would I use the Twist Feature? I am a student, and somewhat familiar with 3d sketching, but can this be done by simpler means? Thanks for any help!

left tube.jpg

• Re: 3d Tubing
          J. Mather

If you 2D sketch the right view and the top view, you can have SolidWorks find the 3D instersection curve for the Sweep.

Jamil Snead

3D sketches can be hard to manage, especially when some of the lines are going at weird angles and not along X/Y/Z. I would approach this with a series of 2D sketches, following the steps as they are written and creating a new sketch plane for each rotation step. See my attached example.

tubing.PNGtubing2.PNG

Robert Hodges

Thanks, for the help! I am definitely more comfortable with 2d, and I think I should be able to do it as suggested.

Carlos Guevara

HI Jamil. I have been looking for days for someone who knew how to do this. The problem I am having is that I have a pipe here physically now but no drawing for it. So I have taken measurements off of it. After trying to draw it in Solidworks I was finding that I cannot get the rotation angle in because it will change my bend angle. I tried to work around this by inserting a plane with the angle I needed and lining up the center line of the sweep.

Jamil can you please show me how I can draw this part properly like you did for this gentleman. I tried following your part posted here but I do not understand composite curve and how you inserted the leg lengths for each straight run of tube.

The only other info i have is this:

bend nobend angleclock rotationcount clock rotationtan-end dimension

but the only stuff I gather from this is the bend angle and the rotation, I do not know what tan-end means?

Carlos Guevara

I measured the part I have here and the bend radius on all bends is 6".

J. Mather

Carlos Guevara wrote:

I measured the part I have here and the bend radius on all bends is 6".

The radius I am interested is the centerline arc - this would have to be interpolated as there is no physical centerline.

Is this what you "measured", or are you referring to the minor radius of the actual part?

Edit: Oh wait a minute - I see in your first post image that radius is 4"?

What is the tube diameter?

Edit 2: Now that I start the model - I see that the dimensions in the original image do not match the chart dimensions.

Edit 3:  I would expect to see one more straight length than the number of bends in the table unless the pipe begins or ends with a bend?

Edit 4. Do you have a pretty photograph of the actual tube that you can attach here?