21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 3:04 PM by Kelvin Lamport

Blotchy Graphic Display of Assembly?

John Willett

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior?  The original model (obtained from a colleague) is pictured here:

Wills Original Assembly.png

After suppressing some parts and making other changes too numerous to list, I get the following image:

My Blotchy Assembly.png

SW Premium 2014 SP5.0 64bit under Windows 7 SP1.  All the individual parts look fine.  Everything seems to be in the assembly when viewed from different angles (though always with some graphic anomalies), and I can't find anything wrong with the display properties of the various parts or assembly; but I'm too much of a beginner to know what I'm looking for... -- John Willett

• Re: Blotchy Graphic Display of Assembly?
          Deepak Gupta

Use SOLIDWORKS Rx tool to find any issues with the machine as I'm feeling that this is something to do with graphics card or its drivers.

John Willett

>>Use SOLIDWORKS Rx tool to find any issues with the machine as I'm feeling that this is something to do with graphics card or its drivers.<<

Deepak -- Thanks very much for your valuable suggestion.  I still suspect the problem lies elsewhere (see below for reasons), so I have one specific question before I report the results of your tests:

Is there a simple way to roll back all the graphics/display settings to the system defaults?

Anyhow, here are some results from your test.  In all of these images (and in the previous post) I'm in Isomeric view Shaded with Edges:

First I tried running in OpenGL Safe mode.  Although the original assembly (the one that looked good in the previous message) still looks fine, my revised one looks even worse, with transparencies everywhere  (I did tell the blue glass to be transparent, but not to have no surface at all!):

Opened in OpenGL Mode - My Version.png

Next I tried the Bypass Tools/Options Safe Mode with similarly bad results:

Opened in Bypassing Tools-Options Mode - My Version.png

Finally, I ran the diagnostics, with the following output:

Diagnostics Report.png

Things look pretty good.  Although there's a new graphics driver available, I haven't tried it yet...

So here's why I doubt it's a driver issue:

1) Nothing has changed on the computer (I know everyone says that!), but during the time I was working on my version of the assembly (last couple of days), the display went from fine to "blotchy."  In that interval I changed all of the materials (two are custom materials, in particular the blue glass that's causing most of the problems), and I tinkered further with the display properties for the glass.  I'm not sure, however, just when in that sequence of changes the display problems began.

2) Throughout all of this, the original assembly (with no materials changes) has looked just fine.  Further, all the individual parts in my new assembly (including the glass) look fine by themselves.

So again, if you can give me a simple way to roll back display settings to the system defaults, I can try adding back my changes one at a time to see where the problem originated.  Meanwhile I will explore the driver-update issue through Lenovo, which only approves certain driver updates for this machine.

Thanks again for your help, and Best Regards -- John Willett

P.S. -- Where do these custom materials that I've added get stored?  I should probably move that directory somewhere that I have both version control (I'll be installing SW2015 before long, while retaining 2014 for compatibility) and also standard-user access, like on my personal-data drive. -- J.W.

Jeff Mirisola

John,

When dealing with a graphics glitch, and finding out that the driver is out of date, the most logical step is to install the correct driver. I'm not sure what you mean by  Lenovo only approving certain driver updates for the machine. Lenovo is, I believe, a gold partner with SolidWorks. This means that they are lockstep with SolidWorks when it comes to drivers and make sure that they're machines are optimized for SolidWorks. SolidWorks tests drivers to make sure they're compatible with the software, in the hardware environment that they'll be running. I would strongly suggest that you install the latest approved driver from SolidWorks for your machine configuration. I assure you that Lenovo won't have a problem with you doing that.

Jeff

John Willett

>>...I would strongly suggest that you install the latest approved driver from SolidWorks for your machine configuration. I assure you that Lenovo won't have a problem with you doing that.<<

Jeff -- Thanks for your input, which is certainly reasonable but did not solve the problem.  Here's what I did in detail:

1) Went to Lenovo Update and let it install the (optional) video driver update for the card.

2) Went back to SolidWorks Rx and was told that this configuration had not been tested.

3) Downloaded and installed the SW-recommended "latest driver" for the card.

4) Re-checked SolidWorks Rx with the following unreasonable result:

Diagnostics Report 2.png

(I don't see how the configuration could have been approved before except for the out-of-date driver but now is not approved with the SW-recommended driver!!!)

Anyhow, the problem remains, as illustrated below.  The only difference now (I think) is that there are a couple of seconds after SW first opens the assembly when the image looks as it should.  Then it reverts to the following:

My Blotchy Assembly 2.png

5) Went back to Lenovo Update and found the following optional update offered:

Lenovo Wants.png

(Apparently the SW-recommended driver is not the latest after all, although I never tried the Lenovo-recommended one since SW did not recommend it...)

Now can we try to roll back my graphics settings to the factory defaults (with which I claim the graphics were working right), or is there something else I should try first? -- John Willett

Kelvin Lamport

Rater than mess around rolling back drivers and trying to find out which function caused the graphics to flip over the edge, just download & install the correct driver and eliminate the problem.

Yusuf Dabhiya

Hi John,

Have you tried to remove all the appearance added to the parts/assemblies? I think that might help.

Yusuf

John Willett

>>Looks like the assy has become corrupted. I saw the same problem but after rebuilding recreating the assy, it was OK...
                      I suggest sending the assy to your VAR for a more in depth analysis.<<

Kelvin -- You were indeed correct.  FYI, the VAR sent the assembly to SW, and they came back with the following instructions:

"There as a note dropped out in space far away from the assembly, causing the graphics to go a little crazy.

1. Open the assembly file
                      2. Right mouse button on the Annotations folder in the feature tree > Details > uncheck ‘Always display text at the same size’ > Ok
                      3. Zoom to fit (key ‘f’)
                      4. Notice the model zoom out drastically to include a note far away from the origin (image.png) – that is causing the bad display
                      5. Delete the note [It's a dimension, and you can just press Delete on the keyboard!]
                      6. Zoom to fit – fine

7. CTRL_Q > the good display will be restored"

They worked perfectly; no problems with the graphics driver after all!

Thanks again for your help! -- John Willett