1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 8:21 PM by Jared Conway

Static study links: contact vs parametric

Bob Thesponge

Hi all,

NOTE: my question is rather general and related to how SW simulation is supposed to be used. Now I use a down to earth example to make things easier to understand.

My question relates to how internal mechanical links should be simulated inside SW simulation. Here is my test setup:

So I set up a static study aimed at simulating a minimalist slide link (see the provided concept view). Kinematically speaking I can define the slide link inside the SW modeler with mates so the carriage (yellow) nicely slides on the rail (grey).

Slide.jpg

Now when simulating the mechanism the mates setup in the modeler are not used to define the mechanical link. As far as I understand mates are just not compatible with SW simulation (even the special mechanical mates) and you need to redefine the link inside the simulation plugin in one way or in another.

Now in order to simulate the mechanical link I was expecting to find a parametric prismatic link (or say connector, as I understand this is how internal links are called) within the simulation plugin. I was very surprised to find no such connector. Actually you do not find the usual mechanical links within the connector options (you find spring, bolt, weld... when I was expecting pivot, prismatic, ball and socket...).

All you are left with is "exotic" links and contacts, so as I did not find the expected links inside the connectors option I investigated the contacts simulation (no penetration). My first remark is that it seems overkill to me to use contacts to simulate a usual mechanical link (simulation times ramp up dramatically): is using contact to simulate mechanical links a standard way to go? Is there no parametric way to define a mechanical link between two meshes?

Kind regards,

Antoine.

• Re: Static study links: contact vs parametric
          Jared Conway

mates do not apply in solidworks > correct

they need to be replaced with contact or connectors

you're using the terminology "links" is that coming from another software program? what do you do in that program?

but in this case if you wanted to say pull the carriage out of the page, a bonded contact set would be a good fit step and then you could move to no penetration contact afterwards to get more fidelity in the contact between them. but yes, contact is the only way to go.

but overall, you didn't comment on what you're trying to learn about this system so it is difficult to provide further guidance on setup