1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 4:44 PM by Jim Stone

Is anyone using the AutoCAD EPDM add-in with AutoCAD Electrical?

Jennifer Bahnsen

Is anyone using the AutoCAD EPDM add-in with AutoCAD Electrical?

• Re: Is anyone using the AutoCAD EPDM add-in with AutoCAD Electrical?
          Jim Stone

We use ACADE for schematics and cable drawings, and the files are in our EPDM vault along with our SolidWorks files. EPDM doesn't understand the links that ACAD is using, however.

We actually used the Autodesk vault for a while so that the engineers could manage their projects there and then output the release/revision-ready files to EPDM for vaulting and release, keeping EPDM as the single source for controlled documents. But it was kind of cumbersome and presented its own set of challenges. I don't recall the specifics at the moment but we eventually gave up on the Autodesk vault.

When a drawing is released or modified, I have to manually make sure I've grabbed all of the right files for updates and state transitions. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of them and our file naming convention makes them easy to find.

We also have SW drawings automatically converted to PDF on release, but that's not possible in EPDM, either, so I have to manually create the PDF after release. Kind of a pain but, again, there aren't an awful lot of them.

Oops, I just realized I missed the point of your question. I'll leave the info there in case anyone finds it interesting, but the answer would be No, we don't use the EPDM add-in for ACADE. I think we may have tried but things didn't work very well in our application.