Eldon Down

Tool box part numbers in BOM

Discussion created by Eldon Down on May 17, 2007
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 by Aric Tibbitts
We use Inch and Metric SHCS for probably 99% of our fasteners, and as such, have over the years created a number of different configurations for those parts. However, the default part numbers created by toolbox are a bit cumbersome, and in the case of inch sizes #0-#10 and fractional, not readily apparent what size they refer to. As such, we have made a habit of changing the configuration name when creating new configurations to something more recognizable. There are, however, two problems with this: first, the configuration names cannot have "/" characters, so to write fractions, we use the "\" which is ugly, and more significantly, if someone forgets to change the name before clicking ok, the name gets written and cannot be changed unless nobody on the network is using that part-class file and its read-only status removed.
What would be ideal is if I could find a way to change the default part number behavior. In toolbox configuration, I have found that I can list all configurations, export the list, put in the part numbers I want, and re-import. This will fill the part number column with the values I want, and the part numbers will show up in the drop-down list in the toolbox part insert dialog, but those part numbers are not used as the BOM part number. As near as I can tell, the only way to change that is to have the part-class file open for edit and to manually change each configuration or via a design table, neither of which is very friendly, and both require write access to the file.
I'm really hoping I've missed something obvious; any help is much appreciated.

Eldon Down

Outcomes