13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 9:59 PM by Bernie Daraz

Do not want PEMs visible in drawing

John Frahm

How does one show in an A level drawing, a folded up box, that has PEM hardware installed, that once it is painted and returned to the customer the customer does not see the PEM hardware so therefore the drawing given to the customer should not have PEM hardware visible?

I first create a part D, this part has the holes for the PEMs. An assembly C is then created where the hardware is inserted. This assembly C is used in a higher level assembly B. Level B Assembly is then used at Level A.

I am thinking the best method is to create a configuration at the part D level that suppresses all the holes, this configuration needs to be replicated at the level C CONFIGURATION: NO HARDWARE so I can create and use LEVEL B CONFIGURATION: NO HARDWARE in my high level A drawing.

Does it really need to be this complicated?

• Re: Do not want PEMs visible in drawing
          John Stoltzfus

I think you answered your own question with a question - In SW it's called circular rebuild

Jamil Snead

What kind of documentation are you concerned about? Is it renderings, line drawing for manuals or spare parts pages, something else? For rendering this shouldn't be an issue because if you just apply the same appearance to the PEMs as the box then you won't be able to see them. For line drawings, it might just be easier for you to manually hide the PEM edges in the drawing.

John Frahm

Jamil,

It is an outline drawing that goes into a brochure for potential customers. Currently I am manually hiding all the PEM edges in the drawing. Time consuming when PEMS move, PEMS are added. Yes I am aware of the ability to "box select" edges. For me it does not seem to capture the entire PEM. I am using toolbox provided PEMS. BSOS to be specific. Box will grab all the inner circles visible but leave the polygon.

Jack

Jamil Snead

Hmm, for me the box select gets the polygon and the inner circle. Even manually selecting the edges one at a time still might be faster than creating all of the configurations you mentioned. The only other thing I can think of is that you could copy the model of the box to a new file, remove the holes, then shell outward by .005" or something. This will leave you with a hollow shell that would envelop the box, simulating what the paint would do. You could add this to the top level assy to cover up the pem edges.

Walter Fetsch

Sounds right, but once you've created the Part D configuration with holes suppressed, all you have to do is select the configuration in Assembly C and that's what you'll see in Level B and Level A, automatically.  Not very complicated at all.

Craig Schultz

Just a thought here, it an easy way to control what you're asking with 2 configs and a design table.

1) Create your part

Default Config

No PEMs Config  (holes suppressed)

2) Create your PEM assembly

Default Config

No PEMs Config  (PEMs suppressed)

Create a design table where the configuration of the part is equal to the configuration name of the assembly

3)   Build your Top Level

Default Config

No PEMs config

Create a design table where the configuration of the PEM Assembly is equal to the configuration name of the Top Level

Lather, rinse, repeat for as many levels of assemblies you want.

This should drive all the sub assemblies to drive the parts to the configuration you want shown.

Bernie Daraz

Late to the party here... if this is just for a rendering for a catalog or similar, why not just use a picture and 'erase' the PEM's there? Another thought is model your part from a shell and then convert to sheet metal for manufacture. I do plenty of sheet metal and I use parts and assemblies on the drawings. I show the part with all the hole sizes and the assembly to show where the PEM's go. For my customers with sheet metal processing equipment they don't have to deal with the PEM's at import to their programming and layout tools.

Bernie Daraz

I had another thought though I originally saw this potential solution posted by John Stoltzfus who is active on these forums. He suggested changing the lines in a drawing to white to hide them. I haven't tried this but you might be able to create a layer with a white line color and just group select your PEM lines and just click to change the layer.