10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 3:36 PM by J. R.

Dimension rounding to half?

J. R.

Hello,

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm producing drawing of part which has to be measured and cut by hand. Units are cm. In most places, I use tolerance (rounding) of .1 (for example, dimensions round to 0.1cm). But in some places where accuracy is needed, it would be great if dimensions could also round to HALF of a milimeter. For example, 0.03 or 0.06cm would round to 0.05cm, instead of 0.1 and 0.2 respectively.

In other words, tolerance of .1 is too large, and .12 is too small. I need a middle rounding point, so that dimensions would round up like 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 0.25, 0.3 etc, instead of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 or not rounding at all.

Can this be done?

• Re: Dimension rounding to half?
          Chase Draper

you can change to 1, 2, 3, or 4 decimal spots in the tolerance box by clicking on the dimension and changing it in the dialog box on the left side of the screen but i dont know about rounding to .05cm

Mike Pogue

I recommend not letting the drawing round off dimensions when that would change the value. In other words, if you want 0.5 to show on the drawing, model to 0.5. Let you model match what will be seen and built to by the fabricator. That keeps certain errors from creeping in, and it solves you problem.

Glenn Schroeder

No, that can't be done without manually over-riding the dimension, and then it is of course not parametric.  As Chase said, you can control the number of decimal places shown on an individual dimension, but you can't have them round up or down to the nearest 5.  There has been a time or two when I could have used that.  For example, I occasionally create a type of drawing that requires dual dimensioning, in inches and millimeters, and in some cases the millimeters are supposed to be to the nearest 5.  When that happens I have no choice but to enter the dual dimension manually, and hope I remember to fix it if the dimension changes.

J. R.

I see. What about imperial system then? I tried making the same thing in imperial, but it seems that you have to choose fraction per-document. For example, I haven't found a way to have 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 fractions in the same document.

Glenn Schroeder

J. R wrote:

I see. What about imperial system then? I tried making the same thing in imperial, but it seems that you have to choose fraction per-document. For example, I haven't found a way to have 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 fractions in the same document.

You set the denominator you want at Tools > Options > Document Properties > Units.  For example, if you want to display down to the nearest 1/32", you would enter 32.  However, if the dimension is an even 0.25", it will show as 1/4", not 8/32".

You can over-ride these settings in an individual dimension's PropertyManager.  For example, if a certain dimension is 12-5/16", but you want it to show as 12-1/4", then you'd click in the box for Override Units and enter 4, where the 16 is shown below.  By doing this, the dimension remains parametric, so that if the dimension changes it would still show to the nearest 1/4".