AnsweredAssumed Answered

Howto emboss a sketch straddling two faces (with pic)?

Question asked by Josh Reed on Feb 16, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 by Lenny Bucholz

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to emboss a sketch on a surface that consists of two tangent faces.  See the attached pic.  The dark line separates the two lighter faces.  The faces came from two different features (one was a surface offset, one was a lofted surface).  I have a sketch containing a bunch of text and closed curves that I'd like to emboss on that surface.   In the pic you can see a single circle (part of the sketch) that straddles the boundary between the faces when projected onto them.   Does anyone know an easy way to do this?

The only semi-answer I've found so far is http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/08/embossing-non-planar-faces/, which suggests using 'split line' to project the sketch onto the surface, then select each face of every letter and do a 'copy surface', then using 'thicken' on each face in the sketch, one-by-one.  While that works, with a lot of text, it is a rather time-consuming process.  I also attached a pic of the result of doing that for the circle to show what I'm trying to accomplish.

I was hoping to emboss the whole sketch in one step, by copying the two faces into a new surface, and using 'boss extrude', setting 'From' to be 'Surface/Face/Plane and selecting the copied surface, but I can't get that to work.  I get an error "Unable to create the extruded feature due to geometric conditions".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Outcomes