11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 4:20 PM by Michael Jones

view mesh

Michael Jones

Hi There,

I am quite new to working with point clouds/ mesh.  One problem that I keep running into is that at some point in the design process I can no longer "show" the mesh.  Normally you can "show/hide" the mesh from the right click menu.   But at some point the "show/hide"  is no longer available. 

The only thing that I have done that may have caused this is to do a save as to a new part name - maybe the mesh file got messed up?

See atched image of no longer showing view options.mesh.jpg

• Re: view mesh
          Chris Dordoni

Hi Michael,

This happens to me frequently and its disruptive. You've probably discovered a solution to display the mesh again is to close the SolidWorks file and then reopen it.

Unfortunately, I have not found another way to correct this.

I do not have a SolidWorks "approved" graphics card, and I wonder whether this is somehow related.

Michael Jones

Hi Chris,

I had not found the easy solution, thanks! 

PS using SW2015 SP1.1

I am using the Firepro V4900 which is approved, so must not be a video card problem.

I guess there is no way to test 2014 as you cant open the 2015 files. 

Hopefully it will be tagged as a bug and fixed in future service packs

Michael Jones

Update:  Chris's solution of closing and opening the solidworks file is no longer working. 

If I cannot view the mesh, then the file is dead and I can no longer use it.  There is no way to re-import the mesh that I am aware of?  It seems the only solution is to start over with a new file and re-import the mesh.  This is not an option as I have put a lot of work into the current model.

Can anyone respond with a known solutions?  It appears I have lost a couple weeks of work if not.

Thanks.

Chris Dordoni

This happened to me once a few years ago, and I don't remember now exactly what I did.

I think the first thing to do is to open your existing file in SolidWorks and save the file with a new name, if you have not already tried that.

If that does not work, and if you can live with the mesh appearing later in the feature tree, you could delete the existing mesh in the file, and then import it again. This may not be ideal if you need to edit some of your features BEFORE the mesh in the feature tree, since the mesh won't exist in an earlier state.

I don't know how big your mesh is, but the size might be a contributing factor if its more than 2 - 3 million triangles. You will need a application that can decimate (reduce # of triangles) and cut meshes into sections to do this. I usually decimate large meshes down to under 3 million triangles. In cases where I need the extra detail, I section the mesh to make separate files with 2 - 3 million triangles so I am importing multiple mesh files into SolidWorks. This way I can hide portions of the mesh, and view only the section I need at one time.

Michael Jones

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. 

I have indeed enabled scanto3d.

I have also tried to save the file a new name and the problem persists. 

I have also saved a zip file of a working state.  If I open the file a few times the problem will eventually re-appear in that I can longer do anything with the mesh, show/hide/scanto3d functions.

I am not aware of a way to import an STL or mesh after there is history on an existing model.  Can you explain how this is done?

I am working with go-engineer and SW on the backside to see if they can help.  I will post back with results. 

Thanks!

Chris Dordoni

Hi Michael,

You can use import at any time.

I just want to clarify ... if you are using Scan to 3d to import the mesh you may have some options I am not familiar with since I don't have it in my license.

I import meshes as Graphics Bodies in the STL import. They are 3d scans have too many triangles to import as Surface or Solid Bodies. This is usually my first entry in the feature tree.

I can import a mesh at any time later in the feature tree. However, it will not show if I am editing earlier steps in the tree. So its really only useful if I am making additions to the model in the current state, rather than going "back in time" to edit existing features.

Michael Jones

Hi Chris,

Where is the "import" command/feature that can be accessed after the first stl/mesh has been imported?  Funny I have not seen this.  I have always used "open>select file type (mesh,stl, etc) > then a file is created with the imported "model" and the history starts.  I do not see how to import after the file has been created and the history has started.

The superficial functionality of mesh data appears to be the same with or without scanto3d enabled.  When scanto3d is enabled there are more options to work with the data in the right-click drop-down menu.

Seckin Uslu

recently ı faced with this issue.

Please activate scanto3D.       Tools>Add-in>Scanto3D

Chris Dordoni

Michael,

Seckin has a good point.

I had assumed you were importing as a Graphics Body, using the mesh as a visual reference only. I don't have Scan to 3D in my license, so there may be some additional things happening here that I have not experienced.

Are you using Scan to 3D?