9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 1:02 PM by Steve Reinisch

Using E-Drawings to mark-up drawings

Mike Ramsey

I've been asked to look into how we use e-drawings to write mfg notes on released drawings in EPDM. Currently we've been using a piece of software called Jobpack but it doesn't seem to play nice with EPDM. What we want to be able to do is to allow people in manufacturing and operations to be able to write their own notes about set-ups, problem areas with machining, ect. I think we can do this with edrawings but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Some of the people making these notes would be machinists so I'm not sure we want to give them checkout rights with released drawings but is there a way we can get them the ability to mark things up?

• Re: Using E-Drawings to mark-up drawings
          Brian McEwen

Bit different application, but this discussion is related.

Re: Mark up drawings for employee to correct in Solidworks

In EPDM Right click and View File get you into eDrawings.

With what you want...  the issue would be that they would need to save a copy of the .sldrw file in order to keep their notes.  Probably none of your users would be able to modify the released file. The copy with notes could be placed inside the vault or outside.   It seems like there should be a better way to handle what you are talking about.

In fact - just tested it - I'm not sure you can even save the .slddrw with notes back to .slddrw format. The Save As window comes up because you don't have the file checked-out, and in that there is no option for .slddrw. The Save command seems to be the only way to keep the format. ...But maybe that works. They could save the edrawings file (.edrw) in the same location as the released drawing. Before checking-in the .edrw they could use Paste as Reference to create a link to the source .slddrw (optional). And you could create a custom data card for eDrawing files that had some relevant mfg notes info, especially any extra info they want searchable.

Steve Reinisch

You can use edrawings to mark up the edrawings file with notes etc then save the edrawings file which can be placed in the vault and linked to the parent drawing.

Another cool feature is that you can save the edrawings markups as a markup file and then bring it in to the SolidWorks file and it is overlaid on top of the drawing, this can then be turned on and off within the browser. The files can be saved by each individual user so you can see who made what markups.

Roland Schwarz

One thing to get away from is any "one drawing to rule them all" mindset.  There are many parties with differing requirements.  Cramming all of their competing information into a single document simply doesn't work.

What matters is control.  When I change a part, can I see a full list of all documents (including CAD models) affected?  Boom!  Now you know what must be updated.  Control.

If you do not want manufacturing to check out the CAD models (and I wouldn't, either), there needs to be a way for them to at least use the CAD models.

One way would be for the manufacturing group to create their own drawings with the same parts.  Bring the part into a new drawing, add views, make notes, save and file in PDM.  Now PDM system can find both the engineering drawing and the manufacturing notes with a simple where-used search on the original CAD model.  Some systems do this automatically when syncing or checking out.

Mike Ramsey

Roland I've worked in environments like this in the past where manufacturing engineering made their own process drawings I'll call them. Engineering would provide a print with final dimensions and the ME would make drawings of the parts in process so they could check the part between operations and scrap things out sooner in the process. The problem with my current situation is I've tried to push that idea and those drawings end up back in product engineering to get made so I've given up on that one. What I need is to get something in the hands of the wage guys running the CNC or assembling the product to be able to make notes on set-up, problem operations or things like that. That markup function being mentioned is a separate file that you can load up after you open the drawing in e-drawings which is why I'm leaning towards that.

Steve Reinisch

Remember you can also load up the markup file into the Solidworks (.slddrw) file. That functionality may solve the problem ofhaving seperate e-drawing files and drawing files althoughthey can be linked in EPDM you still have to remember to look for them.

Brian McEwen

Steve, what is the advantage of the markup file (which is still a file you have to check-in and track) over just storing it all (static drawing plus markups) in .edrw? Seems more simple to keep it all in one file. The edrawing was created off a released .slddrw file and shouldn't change until the revision changes. ... I guess that is one potential advantage - if the markups don't change with the revision you could just reuse it.

"""The files can be saved by each individual user so you can see who made what markups."""  Embedded markups in edrawings also show what user did what comments.  Are you saying there could also be multiple markup files, one per commenter? (Yuck.)

I assume the markup file be opened in either edrawings or SW (for those without SW)?