30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2018 7:20 AM by Jody Holm

How do you rotate a part and change orientation, should be simple no?

Eddie Bracken

So I am rather new to Solidworks.  I have used Inventor for a long time though, and while things for the most part seem better in Solidworks, there are times when I cannot do a simple thing that I could in Inventor.  I basically want to rotate a part 90 degrees and change that orientation. Or even rotate a part and snap 90 degrees to that view.  In Inventor its easy, in the rotation and orientation view you can choose your view, then rotate it 90 degrees within that window, and then right click, change orientation, very easy.

In Solidworks I cannot do this, and its frustrating.  The only command that seems to get me close to what I want is the roll command.  It allows me to rotate the view as I want, but it does not snap to 90 degrees.  Just seems to be a free rotating view.  Then if I click rotate, it rotates the whole part, not what I want.  Is there more functionality to the roll command? Or an easier way to do what I want?

So I created a simple flat sheet metal part. I use Orientation, Normal to command to snap to the view I want, but now I simply want to rotate and snap the view 90 degrees and change the orientation permanantly.  Is there a simple way to do this?  Or how come the 3D orientation cube doesn't have more functionality to do this? A co-worker showed me to go into sketch, select all entities and then rotate entities.  Which essentially did get me where I wanted.  But isn't there an easy way to do this per the view and rotate commands? In Inventor its much more easier.

Would appreciate any help, frustrated Solidworks user here...

Thanks

• Re: How do you rotate a part and change orientation, should be simple no?
          Raymond Kopec

Using the spacebar from within the modeling area will allow you to select any basic orientation you'd like or you can also save custom ones.  Hope this helps.

Jody Holm

Are you trying to rotate a sketch (in sketcher), a component (in assembly), a part (in part mode) or just the view on your screen that you are looking at? Sounds like a sketch according to your last paragraph. If it is a sketch, you probably have all your entities constrained but now you want to rotate them with out having to sketch them all over again. Take your co-workers advise. You can also make a block of the sketch and then recreate your feature. When you insert the block (which in your case would be the sketch) you have the option to place it on any angle you type in. Place it anywhere, and use it to make your cut or protrusion.

Sounds like alot for something simple but once the sketch is constrained that's it.

Eddie Bracken

Yes I know about the space bar and orientation views.  So I hit space bar, click the front view on the cube. Now how do I rotate that view 90 degrees?

Dave Perkins

Easiest way that I know to rotate 90-degrees quickly, is Shift+arrow key. That'll rotate the view 90-degrees in the direction that you choose.  Arrow keys, by default, are set to 15 degree increment rotations, so 6 clicks of the arrow key in one direction will get to to 90 degrees, or hold Shift and hit an arrow key, and that will get you there, too.

There are customizable pop-ups for mouse gestures (right-click and drag) that, I think, can be set to a lot of different things.  By default, I believe that they're set to top, bottom, left, and right views.

Hope that helps.

Eddie Bracken

I tried the arrow keys, they work, but they are not giving me the orientation I like.  I have a flat rectangular sheet metal part.  I hit the space bar and click on the front face.  The orientation shows up with the longer part along the Y axis and the shorter part along the X axis.  I simply want to rotate the part permanently so the longer length is along the X axis and the shorter height along the Y axis.  Seem so simply and easy to do in Inventor.  I am talking about a part file, and viewing the orientation from a part file.  If I click on Shift and Y it rotates the part along the Z. So that does not get me what I want.  The only thing that seemed to work is the sketch mode way and rotating there, which seems like a lengthy step for what I want.  Maybe I just didn't setup my view on the correct plane to make it easier to do what I want.  In Inventor though you can change it from the View/Rotation commands and permanently change orientation and it will adjust accordingly easy. 

So Roll seems the only way to rotate and view, and why can you not snap to that view when you get it where you want.  I ROLL the view, and then want to edit sketch, and it flips the orientation all around to where it was before.  Would like to rotate the view, click normal to, then rotate it 90 degrees, and be able to keep it to that orientation permanently, which it doesn't seem to let me do easily.

Appreciate the help, but seems Inventor has a much easier process to do this.

Thanks

Dennis Barnes

Have you tried using the Move/Copy command?  It allows you to translate or rotate individual bodies, create copies at a distance or if you select constraints, create mate relationships with other bodies.

Alex Dariel Pallares

There is a way to accomplish what you want, however i should tell you to use it wisely (Mr. Schroeder procedure with images):

for instance suppose this is your part:

first.png

So, before you pick the new orientation you first need to orientate your model the way you want, then you undock that panel by pressing space or the double arrow inside the panel, next to the little orientation cube in the upper part. After you do this and pick your new orientation you can do as follows:

middle.png

inside the orientation panel, you click the button "update standard view" and then you pick what orientation in the panel you would like to be, so for instance if you want this orientation you are watching right now in the image to be the front view, then you pick the front view in the orientation panel, then a warning appears saying that the orientation views are going to change in the drawing so be sure of what you are doing and that this procedure is not going to make a mess in your drawing. After all this, now your front view should be something like this:

final.png

This is a procedure that you have to be careful with, because it will change all the orientations in your part. Note that the triad still shows the orientation the part was created in. I would recommend to use any other procedure but this, because this will mess up all the orientations, so you better create a new orientation view and use it on your drawings (this is what Mr. Fetsch recommends).

I hope this is what you were looking for.

P.s. sorry for the english.

Brent Sandstrom

Just remember you are no longer using Inventor.  What may have been a valuable tool in one CADD system is not always valuable in another.

You can do this in Solidworks as described by Alex but it will affect all downstream data including documentation, programming, anything that references your model.  Basically you will not be re-orientating the view but reorienting the part relative to the coordinate system.  Views are views, I would suggest using a combination of the <Shift> and <Alt> with the <arrow keys> (you can change the increments in options, maybe to 90°).  It really is not that bad.

Eddie Bracken

Thanks everyone for the help.  For the easy part of rotating how I wanted the orientation to look, it was the simple ALT and arrow keys! Duh.  I kept reading in help, and people saying in the suggestions here, to use the Shift plus arrow keys, and that didn't give me what I wanted.  It rotates around the part, not rotating the face itself.  So Alt and arrows solved that.  So if I wanted to rotate a part to put in a drawing I could do it this way, and insert it in the drawing.

As for part 2, when I got the orientation I wanted, and wanted it changed permanently to that view.  I right clicked on the face, and chose Set Current View as (Front) and that gave me exactly what I was looking for.  Now when I hit the space bar it is oriented how I wanted it.  Pretty much how it was done in Inventor.  I get the warning that it would change views with associated drawings, and other variations or children associated with this part. So I understand to use this carefully.  Or just create the part on the right plane and orientation to begin with obviously.

Yes I know I am no longer using Inventor but they are very similar, and just couldn't believe the alt + arrows is not some part of the rotate command. Or that the Roll functions doesn't snap in increments like the alt + arrows does.  What is the use of Roll then?  Weird.

Thanks Everyone,
                          Eddie

VENKATESH S.

Capture.PNG

CTRL + ARROW KEYS = MOVES A MODEL WITHIN GRAPHICS AREA.

SHIFT + ARROW KEYS ROTATE A MODEL 90deg WITHIN GRAPHICS AREA.

ALT + ARROW KEYS ROTATE A MODEL NORMAL TO SCREEN ABOUT 15deg.

Thanks and Regards

Venkatesh S

Application Engineer

E G S Computers India Pvt. Ltd.

http://www.egsindia.com | http://www.egs.co.in | http://www.egsindia.blogspot.in

Paul Cullen

Hi Eddie

If you are trying to rotate the body in your part file so as it shows up in a certain way in your drawing you could just rotate the view in the drawing. I know from creating sheet metal parts that sometimes the flat pattern imports in the drawing and I would like to rotate it 90 deg I just right click on the drawing view then hover over "zoom, pan, rotate" and from the fly out menu pick "rotate view" then enter in the value that you want to rotate the view by click apply and close the window.

You might also get a different orientation for your flat pattern by editing the feature in your part file and selecting a different face as the fixed face.

When you update your standard views as Glenn Schroeder and Alex told you to do above you will need to be careful when editing sketches you might find that sketch lines that you create will still have the save relations as they did before you updated your views. that is a line that was created with a vertical relationship might now look horizontal but it will still have the vertical relationship. It,s not a big problem but if you are editing sketches and adding or deleting relationships you will need to remember that what looks like a horizontal line might need a vertical relationship same for sketch points etc. Unless you really need to change the orientation in the part I would not change it I would rotate any views in the drawing that I need to rotate

If you only wanted to rotate the body in the part file so as it looks correct when you are finished you could use the "move/copy bodies" command to add a feature in the feature tree to rotate the body to any position you want

Steven Fraser

Another option is to change the plane in which the sketch for your Boss/Extrude is on. If you expand the boss extrude in the feature tree and right click on the sketch there is an option to "Edit Sketch Plane". I it was currently set to Front Plane then changing it to Right Plane would rotate the part permanently without changing the orientation. Just be careful doing this if you have more features which relate to this as depending how they are dimensioned/related it can cause issues.

I use this function quite a bit, hope it can help you out.

Salman Faiz

Hi Eddie,

We both are in the same boat. When it comes to simple quick functions Inventor is far ahead than Solidworks. As you described it was so easy to perform these operations in Inventor but unfortunately there is no straight method to get it in Solidworks. What brought me to this discussion was the same what you are trying to achieve with your part.

However, I tried the steps mentioned by Glen Schroeder and it seemed to work for me.

Regards,

Salman

Christian Chu

Try this tool to see if you like it? See the att. video clip

Tom Gagnon

TipCapture.JPG

After reading this thread yesterday, this morning I read this tip upon starting SWx. Yay of the Day.

M. D.

Just why.  Everything else is done with the mouse why such complexity for something so simple?  And no Solidworks, don't take this to mean we need a secret mouse button clicking code to rotate a part!

One does not simply:

3 right clicks, a center click, and two left clicks rotates the part 15 degrees south of south east

2 right clicks, roll the wheel back two clicks, then three left button clicks rotates the part 23 degrees center of dead left center

etc.

Tom Gagnon

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

Everything else is done with the mouse why such complexity for something so simple?

Should not ignore 101 keys (which stay put) available for control. Even with 2nd mouse as 3D (i.e., two hands for three input devices), keyboard shortcuts are demonstrably powerful. You should've seen Todd Blacksher's SLUGME presentation. It was very densely educational and intended to drive our productivity. Not everything is done with the mouse, even if you use mouse for everything that you choose to do out of what is available to you. More specifically, there are multiple ways to some things, and some are measurably better than others.

Relevant to earlier topics in this discussion, I did not notice anyone bring up CTRL-1 through CTRL-7, which are the six primary orthographic views and isometric. Add to that, the shift-arrow and alt-arrow controls, and you can navigate very quickly.

Or do you only wish that this thing was that thing when it is not? It is this thing. Use that thing if you like that better than this.

I may be mistaken if you did not intend to reply directly to my post, but perhaps rather to the OP.

Sidenote: This entire discussion seems very pedantic if you have a 3D mouse. Conflation of reorientation with view controls also does not generally help the clarity of discussion.

Alex Lachance

Hey Eddie,

I know it seems simpler to do this but it isn't the best practice to do so. Instead of redefining the views, you should reorientate your part's structure so that your sketches are aligned the way you'd desire it to be.

Just my 2 cents.

David Matula

ctrl 7bsw. I added the W cause it closed the drawing after rebuild and save....

Eddie, your doing better than me trying to use inventor....I could not even figure out how to start a part in that program....if your already doing sheet metal your doing awesome.  Give some time hit the user group and watch the slugme video if you can find it... 

Jody Holm

I think if I was you, I would just start an assembly and mate the part to the orientation you are looking for. Then, make your drawing from the assembly.

Easy enough to change if you don't like what you see,