16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 2:40 PM by Joseph McCabe

How to stop dimension style reverting to default 'none'

J. B.

Hi,

Is there a way of keeping a dimension style in a drawing set to a customised style, rather than it keep switching back to the default 'none' style?

• Re: How to stop dimension style reverting to default 'none'
          Ingvar Magnusson

Hi J.B.

If you save your template with your dimension style layer set => in layers, it will open that way.

And please have a look at my answer in this thread. Leader Dimension

J. B.

Is it possible to change the dimension style of my drawing template to a new custom drawing style I have created without using layers?

Glenn Schroeder

JB,

You can set a wide variety of options for specific types of drawing dimensions at Tools > Options > Document Properties > Dimensions.  You can make these changes and save them in your drawing template.  If this doesn't answer your question, can you be more specific about what you mean by dimension style (color, extension lines, etc.)?

J. B.

Hi Glen,

By dimension style, I mean .sldstl files:

I have created my own dimensioning style by altering the standard drafting style and saving it as a new style under the 'style' menu which appears if you click on annotation > smart dimension

I've added this style to my drawing template by opening up a new drawing, loading my custom style and then 'save as' > drawing template

My question is: Can I set my new style as the default style rather that the 'none' style which SW keeps reverting back to, every time I go to smart dimension.

Glenn Schroeder

While I use Styles for Notes extensively, I've never used them for Dimensions.  Can you be more specific about what you have as your Style?  Are you referring to colors, leader line weights, etc?  I can't imagine any Dimension settings that can be controlled with a Style that can't be set at Document Properties, as I showed above.  Then you could save your drawing template with these settings for future files.

J. B.

Hi Glen,

The image attached shows the dimension style feature I'm referring to.

By dimension style I'm talking about trailing zero's, font size, text position. If the 'style' menu is not suppose to be used for these things then why does it appear when you click on a dimension?

If this is not the best way to control dimension styles, then perhaps solidworks could be a bit clearer about how to do things such as customising (sic) dimension styles and be less occupied with adding pointless functions that don't work properly, and end up wasting peoples time.

dim_style.PNG

Glenn Schroeder

J. B wrote:

Hi Glen,

The image attached shows the dimension style feature I'm referring to.

By dimension style I'm talking about trailing zero's, font size, text position. If the 'style' menu is not suppose to be used for these things then why does it appear when you click on a dimension?

Trailing zeros, font size, text position, etc. are meant to be controlled at Tools > Options > Document Properties, as I said above.  This controls the settings you want for most of the dimensions in a drawing.  If you occasionally want some of these settings different from the settings at Document Properties, then you can make those changes and save it as a Style to save time making the same changes later.  It makes perfect sense.

If this is not the best way to control dimension styles, then perhaps solidworks could be a bit clearer about how to do things such as customising (sic) dimension styles and be less occupied with adding pointless functions that don't work properly, and end up wasting peoples time.

What do you mean by "perhaps solidworks could be a bit clearer about how to do things such as customising (sic) dimension styles"?  Were you given some information indicating that Styles were the best way to set dimension properties?  And what "pointless functions that don't work properly, and end up wasting peoples time" are you referring to?

dim_style.PNG

J. B.

Blue is a friendlier colour, red suggests hostility...

I appreciate that using document properties is a better way to control dimension elements, but as a relative newcomer to solidworks it is not obvious what the point is of the styles function.

Secondly, after loading a Style I found that the new style couldn't be set as the 'default' style.

I also found a few bugs in the style function: some elements such as extension lines kept disappearing, I also found that it isn't possible to add extra text in the 'Dimension Text' box without the style reverting back to the default 'none'.

Peter De Vlieger

J.B.

There are several ways to manage styles of dimensions as well as notes and balloons and many more items.

1. Set them up in your document properties, yes dimension style included, and save it in your template file(s)

which is the best way to set up the most used 'default' styles of all and sundry

2. Set it up in your document properties and save them as a drafting standard

which is a great way to set up alternate styles that you use often because by loading a drafting standard you set up what the default styles of your notes,balloons, dimensions are.

3. Save the individual styles of notes, balloons and dimensions as a quick way to re-use a certain style that you need every so often

The only advantage is that you can mix and match note styles, balloon styles and dimension styles.

The disadvantage is that every dimension you used you'll have to change to this style, which can easily be done with the format painter, but you can't set it up so that it becomes the new default.

Hopefully this helps to clarify things for you

Have a nice one.

Peter

J. B.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the clear explanation.

My main gripe is that I was trying with method ( 3 ) and saving it in the drawing template,  but realised it wasn't possible to set this as the new default.

It also doesn't work very well for changing dimension elements, as sometimes extension lines disappear due to a bug(?) but this isn't made clear, and it isn't possible to add extra text in the 'Dimension Text' box without the style reverting back to the default 'none'.

It would be better for SW to limit the style function for specific elements where it actually works.

Anyway, I'll stick to methods 1 and 2 from now on.

Cheers,

John

Joseph McCabe

I continue to have this same problem as J.B. and can't seem to get a custom style to be set as the default.  Every time I initiate the dimensioning command, the style has reverted back "None".  Even though I have 4 different custom styles developed and saved, I still must select one of the styles prior to dimensioning anything. 

Is there a macro that I can be created that would start the dimension command and pre-set the style to one of my four custom styles?  I would then like to create 4 macros, each one associated with each of the four styles I need to be able to access.  This would save my staff not only considerable time, but eliminate dimension errors and aggravation too.

Glenn Schroeder

Joseph,

The dimension command won't default to a saved Style because it defaults to the settings at Tools > Options > Document Properties.  That's what those settings are there for.  I don't know about a macro.  You might want to consider starting a new Discussion in the API section of this forum to ask.

Good luck,

Glenn

Joseph McCabe

Thank you for the immediate response Glenn.  I was afraid that was the case, which I sort of understood from your earlier comments.  I was hoping though, that I had missed something. 

We produce millwork that requires parts and assemblies from several different manufacturing disciplines, each one requiring different styles, accuracy, and tolerances.  I really wish we could set a style and have it remain as the default until the user selected to change it to another style, which would then become the default.  Constantly having to select the required dimension type not only demands the few extra several clicks, it is frequently forgotten in the drafting process and creates grief on the shop floors of our various departments. 

That's why I'm thinking a macro would work best for my situation.  I'll post this topic again in the API section (my VBA programming skills are limited) and see if anyone can help.

Thanks again for your time.

Joseph McCabe

Glenn Schroeder

Joseph McCabe wrote:

We produce millwork that requires parts and assemblies from several different manufacturing disciplines, each one requiring different styles, accuracy, and tolerances.  I really wish we could set a style and have it remain as the default until the user selected to change it to another style, which would then become the default.  Constantly having to select the required dimension type not only demands the few extra several clicks, it is frequently forgotten in the drafting process and creates grief on the shop floors of our various departments. 

Are you doing all these drawings off a single drawing template?  Unless you need different dimension settings within a single drawing, which I would think would be unusual, you could set up a different drawing template for each set of requirements.

Joseph McCabe

We do use the various styles within a single document, often on the same sheet too.  Our products typically include metal, woodwork, stone, and glazing, as well as other materials, all within one assembly.  We can, and occasionally do, create part drawings in separate sheet files for the different trades, though we prefer to avoid that under most situations.  Solidworks is really good at creating separate files and drawings that way but it also creates, for us at least, other problems that we would like to avoid if possible.  We find it helpful for each department to see what the other divisions are responsible for and also for the main shop floor to see what to expect in final assembly.  We believe having different styles within one drawing seems better than multiple files and drawing sets for a single assembly.