2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 11:42 AM by Linuxson Kent

Unable to insert a new block in my drawing (Draftsight) as it is already present?

Linuxson Kent

Hi

I have been receiving a weird error when trying to insert a block into a drawing

I shows that the block cannot be inserted, as their already exists a file with the same name

I have run Purge a couple of hundred times, and the block doesnt show in the dropdown menu when inserting the block,

but as soon as I click "Insert", it says it already exists....and then it DOES show up in the dropdown menu inside the "Insert Block" window

Is there a command I can use to find and zoom to blocks so I can erase them?

If not...is there anything else I can try?

• Re: Unable to insert a new block in my drawing (Draftsight) as it is already present?
          John Burrill

Usually a block that won't purge is either inserted on a layer that's frozen or is nested in the definition of another block that's been inserted.

there are also a few reserved block names.  You can't have a block called "*mspace" for example

In your case, it sounds like you're trying to replace an Xref with a regular block.

Try using the rename tool to change the name of the block that's causing the problem and see if you can then insert your external file.

• Re: Unable to insert a new block in my drawing (Draftsight) as it is already present?
              Linuxson Kent

Hi John

That's exactly the problem...I can't find the block. You see what happened was I inserted the block the first time, but the document unit standard was all wrong. (inches instead of millimeters) So I opened up the block separately, and set it to the correct unit and re-saved. When I tried importing the block again, at first it seemed like nothing happened. It imported, but no block was showing at my x/y point. So I clicked undo a couple of times, and re-opened the block and checked everything...Tried it one last time, and that's when the nonsense started. That's why I was wondering if there is a why to search-select wayward blocks and delete them, cause I have absolutely no idea where it placed these blocks now in my drawing (or any remnants of the blocks)