5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 3:11 AM by Omer Koksoy

Harmonic Drive

Michael Moon

I would like to model a harmonic drive in Solidworks. This requires the modelling of a ring that can be deformed by a rotating cam. Is this possible?

• Re: Harmonic Drive
          Mike Pogue

What, specifically do you want to get out of the model? If you want to model the stress in the flexspline, then yes, this is perfectly possible. If you want to see the flex spline deform in real time as it goes around, you will have to fudge it a little. Solid models are all rigid bodies.

Michael Moon

I would like to model the rotation of the flex spline as a result of the rotating cam. I am not concerned with the stress analysis, only the dynamics. I've considered ways to fudge this, for example through the creation of the flex spline based on an assembly layout (can't do ellipses), but I haven't been able to come up with a way that would actually demonstrate the physical dynamics of the parts together.

Jared Conway

are you trying to animate it or are you trying to simulate it (motion or stresses?)

Andrei Popov

I have simulated the rotation of a harmonic drive in stress simulation, but it is possible only if you have Premium license which includes the Nonlinear Simulation package. Without Nonlinear you cannot do the simulation because you need to schedule forces/displacements in time. Also I have used the 2D simplification to have the minimum number of DOF as possible (200000-300000), in 3D is almost impossible because the number of DOF goes into millions at the same level or mesh refinement, but depends on your geometry and how much refined you want the mesh.

Omer Koksoy

Hi. I'm wondering about this. Can you share the simulation files?