3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 2:46 PM by Jared Conway

mixed mesh

Juan Montiel

Hello everyone,

I am running SolidWorks 2008 with CosmosWorks, trying to learn the software so this was the most economical version of SW I could find.

I have created a model of a pipe that cantilevers and splits into a Y at the ends.

While I was able to run the analysis with a vertical load on the pipe, I cannot get it to run with moment, which is the most important part of my analysis.

Knowing that a solid mesh has only 3 DOFs, while a mesh has 6 DOFs (that include rotation), I created a mixed mesh of my pipe and added a plate to cover the ends of the Y to designate (by defining the selected surfaces) them as a shell to add the moments.

My question is, after I set the properties to the Solid and Shell members, why does it only mesh the shell element and ignores the solid elements?

It's baffling that moments cannot be added in a easier manner.

Thanks for reading my post,

JM

• Re: mixed mesh
          Jared Conway

a picture here would be really helpful

or post the model

is one part not meshing all together or is it maybe excluded?

Juan Montiel

Thanks for the reply Jared,

I have attached the model.

My background is with AutoCAD and FEA software with shell and beam elements.

Please criticize me with any part of the model since I am learning.

Here are a few notes on the model:

I could not get the model to run if I did not merge the extrusions, so all my members have the same properties but I want different properties.

Tried to create a shell mesh to apply moments to the model since they cannot be applied to a solid model.

Thanks for you help.

JM

Jared Conway

what is your goal with this particular analysis?

what is the simplest level that you can start with?

the reason i ask this is that i do not have access to cosmos2008 to even check what i suggest existed back in those versions

regarding a moment, remember that you can apply a moment through the force/moment loading condition